1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 chevy silverado mason dump still overheats...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by delly, Mar 4, 2012.

1. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

i put the napa fan clutch in and put my meyer plow on took it for a ride and withing seconds it was overheating still, i had to lower plow almost to the ground to get the temp to come back down... whats with these trucks with the damn plows on and in transport..i was thinking of putting a auxillary fan in front of the grill to push air in hooked to a toggle switch so i can turn it on when im transporting plow up in the air, think this will work?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Within seconds it was overheating?? Something else wrong, plugged radiator, t stat, water pump...

3. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

well if it was cold it would take longer, i would say maybe like 15 to 20 minutes.. as soon as the plow is either plowing in down position or off the truck i have no problem whatsoever

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Return that napa fan clutch and order GM HEAVY DUTY fan clutch for these reason.

How many miles on this dump?

It would be great if you flush and change thermostat then install GM's Special HEAVY DUTY fan clutch. They spin early and HARDER so you maybe notice little loss mileage and louder but keep engine cool.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Trade it in for a Dodge. You'll be all set then.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever replaced the t-stat? Complete cooling flush? How dirty is your degas bottle? Is your a/c condensor or rad clogged with cotton wood?

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

the gm fan clutches that are made for the overheating problem with the plow on have a lower disengage speed meaning they come on earlier and stay longer, although the one from napa is a heavy duty it may still be basically the same as the stock one just stronger built. i had this problem with mine and changed it with the gm unit and have not had a problem since but that doesn't mean that something else isn't giving problems on yours. i don't know if you can get the plate to make it direct and eliminate the clutch all together, Summit Racing may have the adapter plate to eliminate the clutch which would be the best way in my opinion but it may give problems elsewhere in the cooling system.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Yet another great thread contribution Thumbs Up :rolleyes:

To the OP, when you say your truck overheats, what kind of temps are you seeing?

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

The fan clutch engages by temp not speed, and the HD ones ENGAGE at a lower temp

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

the papers i read from gm at the dealership stated a lower disengage speed and said nothing about the temperature.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fan clutches engage by temp, not engine rmps. Not saying the napa one couldn't be wrong, bit usually hd ones engage at lower temps. Usually

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ill put in my $.02. I like the heavy duty fan clutch idea, but have never had to have one. I drive weekdays 25 miles to work on county highways (55mph) with the blade on in the winter. I wonder if by putting Timbrens on would help your problem. With the Timbrens, the truck wont "squat" when you lift the blade, and totally block the front of the truck. You would still have to have the plow down a ways but not almost making contact with the ground. When I'm running down the road in my Yukon, the plow is up high enough to allow the truck headlights shine over it but I still have 8-10 inches of ground clearance. Just a thought.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

GM has a TSB on this problem it's the fan clutch, it doesn't matter what someones Tahoe, Ford, Dodge or whatever the TSB covers GMT800 2003 and up but earlier 6.0's seem to improve cooling with the upgraded clutch