1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 Gas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joeybagadonutzz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. joeybagadonutzz

joeybagadonutzz Junior Member

I am brand spanking new to this industry, I am looking for a few pointers. I would like to know what size plow would be a good fit for my truck, without over working it. Also I hope someone else may have the exact same truck who could give me a run down of most normal problems with the truck during plowing so I can get things squared away before I hit the field so I do not have any surprises. Things like overheating issues, weather a more heavy duty alternator is needed. what to do if the plow sits to low. Should I get it aligned with the plow on it? Maybe some tips how to save any stress on trans...Any tips would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...Also any issues period with this truck during plowing so I can inspect certain areas of my vehicle before starting.

2. joeybagadonutzz

I forgot it is an extended cab with 6 foot bed.

3. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

4. joeybagadonutzz

Any overheating issues? Did it hang low?

5. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Never had any issues.. doesnt hang ow at all. I also have airbags up front and in the rear as well

6. joeybagadonutzz

Awesome, That's a sweet ride too man...Are there any used dealers that ship that you know of?

7. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I had an 01 of that same truck I ran a 8'6" Fisher EZV and a 6'/1.8 yard sander in the back with no suspension add ons. Was low compared to my 3500 now, but it took everything I threw at it for 5 years. Rust was what killed it. Not the abuse I put it through. I did buy it second hand with 35k miles on it and traded it in with 87k miles.

Mainiac

8. joeybagadonutzz

I also purchased a second hand with 46 k on it. I was weary at first, but it runs like a beast...I am looking into a 8' Meyer Plow with hitch salt box. See how the season works out for me...I worked for someone else last year running a skid steer. Want to try my own thing this year.

9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

i have a 03 and i run a 8-10 blizzard. never had any problems

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

You shouldn't have any problems with overheating. Those 6.0's are nice engines; good workhorses. As far as alternator, as long as yours is working you will be fine. Depending on the plow you select, your truck might sit a little low. If it squats, crank up the t-bars or put timbrens in it. If it is to low but doesn't squat, then you can put a 2" leveling kit in it. That should fix the prob.

A great place to start would be either an 8'-9' straight blade, or an 8.5' V. Straight blades are cheaper and easier to find used. V plows are more effecient, but have more moving parts. I like Western plows a lot. That's all I use.

The main thing about a snowplow though, is that they are all built relatively similar. So make sure you have a good dealer. Go and talk to some of your local dealers, and see which one you could build the best relationship with. The one that remebers you and your plow each time you walk in.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

dont buy a meyers

12. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Why? If it is the best dealer in his area, then he should.

13. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

I have the exact same truck as you. I had to crank the t-bars up get bigger tires. Never had any issues with over heating. Alt works fine. Only issue I am having is electrical issues. I am thinking of putting the key kit on it but its pretty pricey. I have an 8' western on it. Truck has 118,000 miles on it now and has really never let me down in the 3 years of owning it.. Never had ballast in the back but I might try it out this year.

14. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

if you've got over-heating issues, replace the fan clutch. common problems with these trucks. also the tranny lines like to leak at the crimp fitting between the rubber and steel portion of the line where it goes into the radiator (passenger side). Also check the brake lines where they go into the distribution block under the hood and see if they are leaking or are soft thats another issue. I have an '06 that came with the plow prep package and have a Boss straight blade on it and have no complaints about the truck or the plow. It sounds like you already have the truck, but look into whether it has the Snow Plow Prep package or not. If it doesn't you should be able to add at least the 145 amp alternator yourself, I would do that for sure. If it has the Plow Package it will also have the locking rear differential which is a big help. Don't quote me on this but the Trailer Tow package might come with the locking rear diff also. Cranking the torsion bars up a couple turns is fine. The older C/K body style trucks ('90s) were more sensitive to torsion bar adjustments in relation to the camber of the front tires, thus causing uneven tire wear. The newer trucks seem to not be as sensitive.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  15. joeybagadonutzz

Now Thats help...Thanks bro

16. joeybagadonutzz

What are common front end issues?