1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 Chevy "Normal noise"

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by POWERBAND, Jan 6, 2004.

POWERBAND Member

I have an'04 Silverado with 4.3 and 5Spd (NV3500?). Makes whirring noise like dry bearing - ONLY in 5th(OD) and ONLY when cold. Truck has less than 2K on it. Dealer admits to noise and claims GM representative says it is "normal operating noise". Lately with cold weather in NE it will take @3-5 miles to stop noise.
    Tranny tech at dealer said rep. told him it is 4WD synchro and doesn't hurt anything. I am requesting a written statement on this matter from dealer but I want to know if anyone has seen similar problem.
    Never had a new truck before and although the dealer's tranny tech explanation seems plausible, it is not encouraging my confidence.

Thanks - PB :cool:
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yes that is your tranny making that noise after it warms up(shifts a few times you should be good to go just dont romp on it.
  3. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

now i bought a new 2000 chevy 2500 automatic after 16000 miles tranny started shifting hard the dealer said it is normal i think all this is ######## we buy a new truck and don't want the noises we had with our old trucks they all play games i went back so much and it is out of warranty now and still doing it

we get and pay for warranty that don't work it is that way with all dealers i have friends with fords that say the same thing

it is a big money game with them all and it pisses me off now i wont buy the ex warranty I'm on my own anyway so i can use the money it fit it myself:angry:
  4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

mine doesnt shift hard 2000 1500 with 55,000 miles.
  5. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i know i was just making a point about dealers not doing there job
  6. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

I noticed a similar noise coming from my 04 1500 with 4.8 and automatic trans, 2wd, when going slow like 15-20 mph, have not asked dealer about it yet, but the noise does not sound bad and goes away when warmed up. Owners manual say's transmission may shift differently when cold. I will call dealer in my area tomorrow and post what they tell me.
  7. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

I have an '02 Silverado 4x4 just like your's with the V6 and NV3500 5spd. I also had an '00 2wd (traded in on the '02) configured the same way. These trannys aren't what I would call quiet by any means, especially when cold. Both of the trucks are/were a bit notchy on 1-2 shifts particularly if you shift below 2500 rpm. Have you noticed your truck doing a similar thing? 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 shifts are always pretty smooth.