1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 Chevy 2500HD, New Western 8' Pro, What Else Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CrimsonSnow, Dec 14, 2013.

1. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

Just got a 04 2500hd reg. cab long box. Put a new Western 8' Straight Plow on it. I had the bars cranked up to lift the front end so now it carries the plow fine. Will get an alignment this week.
    When operating the plow I have a lot of power draw. It still has the stock alternator and 1 battery.
    I was going to upgrade to a bigger alternator and add a second battery,
    Is this a good idea and if so where would I get a second battery case/platform and how would I wire it?
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I run the factory alt and single battery in all my 2500hd trucks with blizzard power plows. Sounds like you may have some other issue.
  3. CrimsonSnow

from Midwest

Thanks Snowguy. I will get my meter on it.
    The other issue is my truck seems to nearly die when I come to stops with the plow on. I just got this truck, so I'm still figuring it out. The only thing I keep coming up with is the plow is having to draw on the electrical system.
  4. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

I like to rule out a bad battery and the serpentine belt operation (worn tensioner) early in the electrical diagnosis.
  5. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I've got an 04 Sierra 2500HD... My lights dim when I operate the plow but the power surge is short lived... I don't have a big battery either... It's been starting, stopping and my blue rotary light keeps shinning... I don't plow a lot if driveways... 5 - 6... There's enough of a drive between plows that the battery charges back up before I plow again... The first thing I'm going to do is the battery... It's like a 660 cold amps LOL
  6. CrimsonSnow

from Midwest

I took care of the nearly stalling issue. Cleaned throttle body and intake.
    Also had to do the EVAP vent/solenoid/line replacement.
    Kept a watch on gauges on our first snow. Ran a bit warm, realized I had the plow to high between properties, lowered it and everything cooled right off.
    It does draw a bit of power, gauge would drop then recover. Just wondering, if we start getting a lot of snow in here and with constant use which will go, battery or alt?
    Still thinking of upgrading battery and alt anyway.
  7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Battery will probably go. My 99 dives to 11 volts when I move the plow and the alt is the original 105 amp unit. The battery is 2 years old.