1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 ball joints

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jan 21, 2010.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys. I've got. 04 sierra 2500hd. My lower drivers side ball joint is going out. While I am at it I am figuring on doing the passengers side lower also. How hard is this to do? I have basic tools, hammers, punch sets. I can get a torch if need also. Never done it before, I know this is not a quick a minute project. I have a heated shop, so I can do this inside. I just don't want to spend a arm and a leg at the mechanics.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I would honestly suggest doing all of them, top and bottom both sides. Doing the ball joints isn't exactly rocket science but taking everything apart in order to do it can be a b^&*ch, especially in a couple months you then see one or both of the uppers being junk.

Ball joint press isn't needed, however, it makes the job A LOT easier....you should be able to get the one you need through a local parts stores loaner program. Also, B&B may be able to chime in here on brand but don't settle for cheap, as you'll see they aren't exactly fun to do so you won't want to have to be doing them again. Check your front rotors while your at it as you'll have all that stuff apart in order to do this!

The heated shop will sure be wonderful!! Watch, it'll start snowing while your in the middle of it! JK

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Its not that difficult if you have basic tools, a warm place, and ball joint press. you can get the press at autozone and use it for free, just make a deposit on it. Get moogs

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

MOOG! that was the name, i thought it was something funky like that!

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info guys. I talked to a buddy of mine today and he had just done all 4 on his truck this past spring. He mentioned to me to do all 4 while its torn apart. It makes sence. My breaks I know are in good shape as I just replaced them early to mid summer. I was thinking about AC Delco ball joints, but apparently MOOG is what you guys are telling me to go with. Where might I find them at? My buddy told me to go to Auto Value. He didn't say what kind me got.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

The procedure itself is not difficult. Problems come out of frozen bolts and what not. Before you go ripping everything apart check to see that your cam alignment bolts are loose in the sleeves. Very common for them to seize up, if so you'll be in for a lot of soaking and heat. Not sure on the 04 specifically, but also the aftermarket ball joints sometimes have trouble seating into the pressed control arm. Something to do with the way they are manufactured. Ive always welded them in for extra insurance since they never seem as tight as the OE. I believe recommended procedure is to buy a complete arm.