1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 and new F150 owners beware

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KGRlandscapeing, Jan 30, 2008.

1. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

check engine light comes on and code reads air intake controll runner stuck open its an issue that comes with plowing i guess i dont know y. the part is 40bucks the clip is 8 bucks but u look at about 6 hrs labor to fix it. its under the air intake in the back u cant get it with out taking off the manifold. u cant even see it. my 04 is now out of waranty 36,000 miles so ya i have the new part but i cant afford the downtime to pull the whole manifold off and ill need new gaskets to put it back on just nuts. if any of u have seen under the hoods of the newer F150s u have seen the amount of plastic there is. what a pain

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My wifes 06 just rolled over 25k. No problems yet but I'm sure it will happen just whe it's out of warranty. I know what you mean about all of the plastic under the hood. I can only imagine what all of that plastic is going to be like when the truck is more than a few years old. Thank for the info. something to look out for. Hope you can get your truck fixed soon, Good Luck !!!

3. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Good to know, I have about 24k on my truck now. Second season of plowing with it. Guess I'm not familiar with an "air control runner", is it causing problems with the engine to the point that you can't drive the truck???

4. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Oh yeah, which engine is yours?

5. KGRlandscapeing

the code says mine is stuck open so i havent seen to much adverse issues with it but i have to get an echeck to get my comm plates so thats y its an issue. i am hoping it stays clear long enough i am going saturday to get one. i just dont have the down time to tear in too it and take the whole manifold off to get to it. and with all the other stuff in the way who knows what i would mess up i wish it had something simpler ya know.

6. KGRlandscapeing

o ya this is the 5.4 with the 3 valve

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just read this post Sat night.
    Go Sunday to pickup prescriptions for my wife. Start her Windstar up to go home and the check engine lights on. I go to AutoZone and they scan it.
    Up comes code :
    P1518-- Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open.
    AutoZone looks it up, dealer only they say. I go home pop the hood and there on the front of the engine is the little rod swinging loose. It came out of the lever on the manifold. I popped it back on. Disconnected the battery and code is gone now for 5 start /run /stop /cycles.
    Maybe you could be that lucky ! Look at it with a mirror.

8. KGRlandscapeing

thats exactly what it is the same thing as the windstar except u cant get to it on the f150

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The next day I popped the hood and looked at the little arm. It was off again!
    The van was under warranty and it had the intake gaskets and one rocker cover replaced about 6 months ago. They must have broke the little plastic retainer when they took it apart. The metal retainer rings will not work to fix it because there is no room to work to get it popped on. If they charge me $8 for the clip like the post above says I WILL GO BE-ZERK! It's a quarter inch by a quarter inch piece of plastic.