1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 6.0 Transmission or Dead pedal?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mebes, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

After plowing for about 12 hours, I was stacking a load of snow into a pile, when I put the truck into reverse the transmission and pedal completely Ignored me.

Engine would not respond to the pedal, and transmission was not shifting into reverse.

The engine and transmission would respond in all Fwd gears, and in park and neutral.
    The backup lights would come on when shifted into reverse.

I even tried revving the engine and shifting it into reverse at 1500rpm.
    I was expecting a big clunk, and I got nothing. (it would not shift into gear)

Called my buddy to pull me out of the pile, he got in and shut it off and started it back up and it started working again.

I plowed for another 5 hours after that and it did not do it again.

Any Ideas on what this could have been.

Thanks

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well, Im not exactly a transmission pro by any means, but here is my 2 cents. It could have been possible that the trans got a little hot and probably has a safety mode to go into when the fluid temp gets too high. Or it could have been a sensor of some sort or even a relay, possibly even a stupid fuse. Like I said, im not a trans pro by any means. I might be 100% wrong, just trying to help

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's a new one. Doesn't sound like dead pedal, because it worked in the other gears.

Sounds more like a computer\software glitch. If you turned it off and started it up, you reset the computer. Take it to the dealer and have them check for any codes it might have thrown.

I've never heard anything like this on any of the truck forums I visit.

4. doh

doh Senior Member

If the tires were moving forward when you shifted into reverse, (i.e. spinning) the transmission would ignore the request for reverse. Try it at hwy speeds, slip it into reverse and nothing will happen.

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

It was at a full stop when I shifted the first time.
    And of course for the next 3 minutes when I was trying different gears.

Initially I was thinking trans temp like thermos said, but the Transmission temp showed normal.

Also there was no Check engine light, and Tow/Haul light was not flashing.

Anybody else?

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Tires moving forward and putting it in reverse?? I dunno about the 6.0 trannys but them 7.3 trannys will go into gear - and by the way, it really don't help you stop that much quicker...............but I didn't go down the ravine either...........

7. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend doing this, talk about catistrophic failure

8. spittincobra01

stock guages aren't always the most accurate items. Infact, manufacturers use diodes to reduce the amount guages move to prevent customers bringing a vehicle in for service because "the oil pressure fluctuates so much, or the temp is all over the place" type complaints. My first thought would be an electronic glitch like Mark O said.

Just to prevent any overheating issues for my tranny, I installed a larger tranny cooler within a month of owning the truck, as well as an autometer temp guage... but I tow often and on long trips in the summer, and plow in the winter so it was piece of mind for me

9. spittincobra01

by the way (and I hope I don't get in trouble for doing this) there is a F250/F350 group on yahoo that I co-own where we discuss tech issues like this. There is a guy on there by the name of Chris who is awesome with tranny problems. Give him a shout and he will undoubtedly have the answer for you

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ford_F250-F350_owners/

10. Mark Oomkes

OEM gauges are worthless. Spittincobra is dead on.

I have aftermarket gauges on my truck. I can drive 5+ miles and the tranny gauge will show normal and the aftermarket won't even have come off the peg yet.

Theoretically, you can shift your tranny to reverse at 60 and it won't do anything, although I won't be trying it. Supposedly the TorqShift has a sensor that won't allow it to engage if it senses any motion. Supposedly. ;)

11. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I agree with what they said about the stock gauges...I Wouldnt trust them at all..My 90 Mustang use to read normal temp, but when I put the pillar gauges in I found out the temp was climbing...Now for my 03 F-250, I am not taking any chances especially with plowing, or towing my car so I just picked up 3 Autometer Cobalts, Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp, I want to know what the vitals of the truck are, and to be honest, the stock gauge will not read hot until it is already at a point where it is screwed up and then the computer will throw a code but by then it is to late..and for the price of the gauges, and the ease of installation you cant beat them...

12. doh

doh Senior Member

It shocked me too, but our diesel tech did it with me in the truck, nothing happens

13. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

What about if you shift it into park, will nothing happen then?

14. Mark Oomkes

How's about you let us know???? :p ;)

15. doh

doh Senior Member

Reverse ok park bad

16. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

ok ill try not to do it then