1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 6.0 overheating with 9'2" v xt when driving highway speed

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 04whistler, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

I just put a 9 2 v xt on my 2004 6.0 and everything seems to be fine until i start cruising and my edge chip says the oil temp and engine temp get up to 215 degrees. My stock gauges on the truck read normal... Could it be the heads or the egr cooler?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 6.0 isn't equipped with an EGR cooler...or an EGR for that matter.

215* isn't overly hot but leaves you little "safety range" left. It's very common for the engine and trans to run a bit warmer with the plow on since it's blocking airflow through the radiator, and plenty of guys have issue with it. But the fix for it is this: Fan Clutch

Search "fan clutch" here also and you'll find plenty of reading on the subject...very common issue.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Hey B&B I have had my truck in twice for an EGR cooler & 1 oil cooler. I have a 2006 6.0. Is my service guy blowing me smoke or what?

4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Gas job advice for a 6.0 Powerstroke?? ;)

To the OP. Have you checked for any coolant loss or any signs of any leak near the EGR and the heads??

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

:laughing:

You must be mistaken. 6.0's have egr's and egr coolers and both can be problematic.

Does your truck have a plowprep package? On the trucks equipped with the plow package the fan engages sooner. I have also seen problems with the edge monitor reading higher than actual temperatures.
    If it is a EGR problem check for leaking (puking) out the coolant overflow bottle, or seaping of coolant out of the heads where they meet the block.
    Robert

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't notice it was in the Ford forum. :D

7. rob_cook2001

o you were thinking 6.0 chebby lol

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

if u didnt change your fan clutch thats your problem.

9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

He may have stretched the studs . Pull that 6 0 leaker ( Thats what I call mine ) on a steep incline , pop the egr out and take a gander ..........if theres coolant in there , get your self a set of ARP studs and delete the egr completely while your at it .

http://innovativediesel.com/ Call Eric for great pricing on shipped parts

Attached Files:

10. rob_cook2001

Deco is right. And Eric is a great guy to deal with :}

11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

You can also get the egr delete SCT TUNE from Eric , which you would obviously have to purchase the tuner . Solves most 6 liter problems without doing your studs for a while .Depending how bad they are

12. rob_cook2001

But if it is already puking it will prob need studs.

13. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

yess it has been puking for awhile...whenever i get on it. When i didn't have the plow on it it would still get up to 205 degrees or so when going up the mountain to go skiing. The heater would blow cold air sometimes. I would keep adding coolant wondering where it went when there were no leaks. Damn, i bought this truck thinking it would be dependable. It's going to be lame if i have to do the studs and gaskets and egr delete right when plow season is starting!

14. rob_cook2001

It does suck but a good shop can bang them out in a few days, if you have to spend the money do it right the first time. Have the heads decked, Install new gaskets and ARP studs. Then block off your EGR and put a SCT for Eric at Innovative in it that will shut off the EGR. It sucks having to spend the money but after that you will have a reliable truck, and with Eric's tunes more power and better shifting :}
    Also tell Eric you plow and that you want the fan to kick on sooner. Might as well do a good exhaust while your at it.
    Robert

15. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

Yeah, i have silverline 4" straight pipe. I am up in juneau alaska and there is only one ford shop here, so hopefully they know what they're doing. Firering gaskets??

16. rob_cook2001

O if forgot here are some prices to help you out.
    ARP studs---$498 (on sale at innovative, usual price is over 700)
    EGR blocker plate ----$10-20 bucks
    Labor should be around $1000
    SCT from Innovative---$379
    Exhaust---$300-900
    And it will all give you a big smile lol

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That plow/truck looks familiar, I've seen someone else post that picture.:confused: Did you just buy it?.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking, basher.

Where, oh where have I seen that before?

COme to think of it, I seem to remember someone with a truck like that who has had a couple other usernames who also went on a posting spree. 25 posts in 2 days, wow.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe the other guy's business went in the toilet and he had to sell.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  20. rob_cook2001

You only need fire rings if going over 550-600hp so just use stock gaskets.
    Robert