1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04.5 2500HD D-Max Value.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Jul 14, 2013.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Want to get some opinions from actual D-Max owners on here.

I have a truck that I have some interest (not a great lot unless price is really right).

It's a 2004.5 2500HD Silverado extended cab long bed, truck has more miles than I care for (260k) on a stock drivetrain, price is way more than I think it's worth considering the mileage on it but maybe it's me.

Here is the truck, been for sale at least 05/14/13

My biggest concern is the tranny, on average what would be the life of an allison before rebuild, I was told by my tranny shop last April that the rebuild cost would be atleast 5k (CDN).

Now I have contacted the owner, the plow was put on this winter for personal use but will not come with it. Truck has had rockers done and along the bottom of the truck has been sprayed with LINE-X, suppost to be really good underneath including brake and fuel lines.

Like I said, I'm not seriously interested unless price was really right. I figured it would be fun to get some input from actual owners.
  2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

we have a little less miles then that on our 04 lb7 with no major issues. For about 11 i think it would be a good truck for a good price. But you can find cheaper with less miles but it may need more work and be older. If you dont want to screw around with things and this is in your budget id get it!
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's an $8-10k truck if its as nice as he says. And I'd worry about engine maintenance/repairs more than a trans. Injectors (yes even an LLY), FICM, EGR cooler, HG's etc. They aren't as great as people claim. Nothing is. I wouldn't walk away from that truck by any means........but for that price I would.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

unless you see the plow or look at the push plates and they show little wear, I don't think the plow was just put on, typical salesmen pitch.
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Kelly blue book says 11-13 K , not sure how accurate that pricing is. I know one thing, these d-max's hold there value. I've got same year, less miles and could still get 20k for mine.
  6. CAT 245ME

$8-10K is really what I was thinking was a fair price, IMO a lot of used Diesels are over priced, this truck has been listed for two months already, I figure wait another month and if the owner still has it then go take a look and make an offer, if still to high then pass.

I have a Fisher 8'6 HD MM2 that I'd like to put on a truck to get some use out of, I'd rather go with a 2500HD ECSB with an 8.1 & Allison, I don't really need a diesel but those 8.1 aren't very common.
  7. CAT 245ME

Friend of mine's father in law sold last November his 07 Classic 2500HD D-max ECSB that he purchased new, garage kept, dealer maintained and had installed a brand new Meyer/Diamond straight blade ($4500) the year before to plow his own small driveway. Truck and plow sold for $19K CDN, milage on that truck was just under 100,000 kilometers which would be about 60K miles. Truck was never worked at all, just a pleasure vehicle.