1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 3500 srw with rotted exhuast manifolds

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wing 97, Aug 17, 2009.

1. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

Hello I have a 04 3500 srw 6.0. The problem is it has an exhuast leak which is under the hood and I only can assume that it is due to the rotted exhuast manifolds. My question is if anyone has replaced the stock cast iron manifolds with stainless steel headers and regretted it. When someone says headers to me all I can think of is constantly dealing with leaks but that was in the "olden days". I know the challenges of removing the existing manfolds and not looking foward to it so I don't want to do it again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Devin
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW !!! An 04 and the manifold is rotten I can't believe they don't last longer !!!!!
  3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Check the bolts before you go too far, I had a minor exhaust noise under the hood and it turns out some of the heads on the manifold bolts popped off. I was told my my mechanich that this is a fairly common problem with the GM's
  4. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

I am pretty sure the bolts have broken. I figure if I am going to deal with extracting the broken manfold bolts I really don't want to reinstall the rusted manifolds. It doesn't make any sense to me to replace them with new GM manifolds if there going to rust as fast again. If the stainless headers fit properly and don't leak hope fully I won't have to deal with this again.
  5. EXR

EXR Senior Member

This is a problem on the 6L.

I had studs break off on my 2000 and my 2003 that I use to own.
    I would go headers if you can.

Great engine otherwise.