1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 3500 Dmax, Dual Fuel tank Problems???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike S, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

The fuel gauge quites working and when it does it loses prime. I installed a new lift pump and it didnt solve anything. Help!!! The gauge will stop working and then start working again and when it starts working again it will also lose prime. It codes when it does it! Tomorrow I will get it scaned. Anyone have this problem?:help:!!!!!

2. Mike S

Never mind took a wild guess and bought a new float for the back tank and that seemed to work.

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you don't fuel up with the truck running... Non stop problems with our older dual tank duramax trucks.

4. Mike S

Never mind it did it again!!!!!!!!!! Still have same problem! HELP!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You changed the wrong sending unit Mike. It needs the front one. :nod:

6. Riccas

Riccas Member

Duramax engine doesn't have a liftpump to begin with... its got CP3s which is a motor driven suction pump, not a lift pump, so you might want to start in the tank if theres a fuel sending issue. Also what config do you have that you have dual fuel tanks?? I've owned every year duramax from 01-07 and none of them have dual tanks on my 3500's regarless of cab config or bed option.

7. Riccas

Riccas Member

Duramax tanks are suposed to operate on weight sending... not float sending... interested to know what kind of tanks are on there...

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

02, 3500 one ton dump has dual tanks. The dealer says the back tank fills the front and then the front goes to the engine? Correct me if that's wrong.

9. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Correct!! :)

Cab and Chassis trucks come with dual tanks. :D

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the PCM reads the fuel level on BOTH tanks and by way of the frame mounted transfer pump (what I think Mike was referring to as a "lift pump") it pumps fuel from the rear tank to the front one as its used...as the engine only pulls fuel from the front one. If the PCM gets an erroneous reading (or none at all) from either tank it can cause all sorts of strange issues.

11. Mike S

B&B what do you recomend I try next?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Replace the front sender assembly Mike.

They're usually the ones that die most often anyway. :nod:

13. Mike S

Thank you!!!!

14. Mike S

Ordered the front sending unit and will have it in by noon tomorrow! Lets hope for the best!

15. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

My 04 C&C did that when it was new, Jack Maxtons replaced the front sender(under warenty) and it never did it again. It was very fustrating when it did that, left me stranded a couple of times, cause I didn't know what to do.

16. Mike S

Awsome! Thats funny Maxton didnt even want to look at it! Oh well! That makes me feel better that the sender could probably fix my problem! Thank you! Who's the chick in the avatar?!?LOL!

17. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

Maxton is the only place I trust anymore, that's funny. They have mixed reviews I guess. some hate em, some love em- oh well. That's beth o., howard sterns new wife.

18. Mike S

Wow she hot! I bought my 04 2500hd from them and they didnt treat me bad but they didnt fix the over heating problem that the truck had with the meyer that I bought from them. The wrong fan clutch was on it! Oh well! Maxton was not bad on thier selection but I think I like Byers selection better. My duramax I have now was a repo that had 40000 miles on it and was agreat deal! I think im done buying new trucks for a while unless I see a red or blue 3500 Dmax 4x4 SRW utility body truck!

19. Mike S

Problem fixed for now!! Front sender! Thanks!

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats Mike...and your welcome. :waving: