1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 3500 cc drw. Need plow adivse

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gentner8, Oct 1, 2011.

1. gentner8

gentner8 Junior Member
    from Baldwin

Hi, new guy here. Been plowing for a few years, but using a company truck. This year, I am looking to put a plow on my baby. She is a 2004 Silverado 3500 crew cab, long bed, dually with the duramax. This frame cracking issue has me wondering if I should do it or not. I try to be smooth and gentle when I plow, and not beat on the trucks I use. I will be using a full size hopper swenson bed spreader in the back. If I add the gussets and timbrens, would I be safe to push snow and not have to worry about my truck frame cracking? The snow here in Maryland can be heavy and wet at times, and I plow several large lots. Last year, I was somewhere in the area of 150 hours for the season behind the wheel. For you seasoned vets running this truck, how have they held up for you? I want to make more money using my own truck, but Im not looking to destroy the nice vehicle I have.

Thanks!

Jay

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2005 ext cab dually, with hhe 6.0 gas. I have a 8'-6"' Fisher ez v On it dealer said because of the height of the chevy to put the 9'-6" the corners tended to drag. Personally if I were to do it again I would do the 9'-6", because the smaller isn't wide enough to cover the track. My only concern on your truck would be between the diesel & crew cab the amount of weight on front axle

3. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

We have a '06 1 ton drw ext cab cc duramax, 8611LP, Timbrens, gusseted frame and 1700 lbs of ballast. We have had no problems with the truck....knock on wood. You would be hard pressed to find a heavier plow on a 1 ton. Get the frame gussets welded on and good luck plowing!

P2010020.jpg

4. gentner8

gentner8 Junior Member
    from Baldwin

how much would you guys say its taken a toll on front end parts?

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Repoman207 has a 3/4 ton, ext cab long bed GMC and has run a Fisher XLS for I think 3 years here in Maine (wet heavy snow) without any frame issues. I don't think he has any gussets either, I'm sure your truck will hold up just fine.

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

2004 regular cab GMC 3500 DRW dump body, 9 foot Fisher MM2 straight blade with 2 8" x 5/8" cutting edges, timbrens, no problems, just installed gussets over the summer.

7. gentner8

gentner8 Junior Member
    from Baldwin

where can I get some prefab gussets?

8. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

50,000 miles, just passed VT state inspection with all original front-end parts. Gussets are good insurance and will keep you from looking at your frame after every plowing to see if it has cracked!

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Gusssets

Plowsite member B&B sells them.

10. gentner8

gentner8 Junior Member
    from Baldwin

Do any of you with duallys do anything to protect the rear fenders from the guy loading salt? I know a few operators are pretty rough here, and some have dropped stone, and even chunks of asphalt. Anybody have any mods to help keep the truck looking decent?

11. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Find a piece of rubber that will bolt to the spreader near the top, and then drapes out past the fenders. This will also keep spill out of your box.