1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jlb2500hd, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

I had my torsion bars turned up to the max to level the truck, after reading all the negative posts on doing this, i want to turn them back down, how many turns down should i go and will i need to re align?
  2. T&M Snowplowing

T&M Snowplowing Junior Member

I'd turn them all the way down, and put a set of "TIMBRENS" on your front end! You won't be disappointed!
  3. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

If I turn them down all the way is that the factory setting??
  4. 4speed

4speed Member

Back them out untill you get a better angle on your cv's. Where in N.Y. are you?
  5. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

I'm about 40 miles west of Albany, and still waiting for snow, not good weather for plowing. Will i need to get an alignment if i turn the bars down?? I got one when i turned them up.
  6. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

You should
  7. I've had mine set all the way up with factory keys for about a month now with no problems. I guess this varies from truck to truck but I got 3". Truck rides like stock as far as I can tell...no bottoming out that leads to harsh ride.

I did use Cognito upper control arms to fix ball joint angle, help with ride, and aid in an alignment but I am still worried about my CV and steering angles (also added Cognito Pitman & Idler arm braces to help with steering). I know the increase CV angle will shorten there lives...but by how long? I do know that even the stock steering geometry leads to premature idler/pitman arm wear out (and subsequent outer tire wear) and increasing there angle will exagerate the issue but I hope the addition of the Cognito Pitman/idler braces help with this too. I've also added Timbrens but they are somewhat comprimised as well due to the lower control arm being "lower". I do have some contact with them at rest so I imagine they will help avoid the rumored "snapping torsion bars" (anyone actually do this?).

I have read tons of folk run at 2" w/o problems. I've only heard one guy say that during somewhat sever off-roading that he pulled out a CV joint (whatever that means). I am gonna leave it where it is until I either have a problem or hear from some people stating that they've actually had problems due to the increased angle.

Anyone have any actual experience with issues attributed to cranking up torsion bars? If so...what are they?

Thanks all!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  8. Some say an alignment isnt necessary...even comming from GM Techs..BUT I'd have one done whenever messing with anything. Tires way too expensive to take a chance!
  9. CompleteCare

CompleteCare Member

I have a pretty close relationship with my local spring shop. I worked in service at a school bus dealership for 3 years and used this shop exclusively for any spring work, alignments, shackle pins... everything. I asked him about timbrens for my 04 2500 HD and he explained how the timbrens bring the front end up only by resting something not meant for that particular load. In the long run a-arm bushings and other related hardware will be damaged. So I guess you pick your poison - turn up your torsion bars or timbrens