1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 2500HD Water Pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Nov 26, 2011.

1. As my truck is approaching 100K miles I have been keeping an eye out for the water pump to fail as it is a fairly common thing on the 6.0 engine. Last week the engine was dry and Friday night I started to smell coolant. I was installing a plow for a friend yesterday and he said "whats that puddle under your truck?" So today's project was the pump (new), new belts, a coolant flush, and a new air filter just for kicks. Got everything at NAPA for about $250.

The point of my post is that the water pump is a breeze to replace so most of you guys that DIY could easily do this. Take a good look at yours and be sure it's not starting to leak. There is a weephole in the bottom of the pump and that's where it starts to leak.
  2. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Just replaced mine a month ago. Pump, thermostat, and belt. Has 95,000 on it. Leaked sometimes but not all the time but could tell it was burning coolant by the smell. Glad I caught it before I was knee deep in snow. Hope the radiator isn't next!
  3. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Yeap - totally agree pretty simple & straight forward. I replaced the water pump, both belts, belt tensioner, radiator, fan clutch, upper and lower steering shafts, and power steering pump. Not a mechanic and did it all - referenced my Haynes manual, Google and...of course Plowsite. :) (all within the past couple of months - getting ready for the winter)
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

6.0L are great. I wish they were all that easy. I just did one on a duramax yesterday, talk about a project. Removing the harmonic balancer to change a water pump... dumb.