1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd power steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Drottlawn, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, I think my power steering pump went bad. What I don't get is that the truck only has 38000 miles on it. Is this common on these? This made me loose power steering and power brakes since it uses the pump for power brakes. Man is it hard to stop a fully loaded truck. My employees legs are a little sore from using it all night this way.
    Any one else heard of this or have any ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The PS pumps will die on occasion, especially on a plow truck.

Is it a D-max equipped truck, or gas?

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

It has the 6.0l gas in it.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's the heat that kills the pumps on these trucks. Thats why they usually dont last long on a truck that gets worked hard (especially plowing).

Your working the pump hard the whole time your plowing, turning the wheels with the plow in the air, turning them with it on the ground constantly, and applying the brakes all work on the hydro boost system pretty hard. The gas trucks do have a PS cooler on them from the factory but their undersized for plowing use.

Going to a bigger cooler, or at the very least switching to synthetic PS fluid will make a difference to the life of the system., as well as performance.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thanks for the info! :waving: I definitely appreciate the tips as I don't know much about the chevys. I am Ford man, but starting to like the chevys.:rolleyes:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you look through the grill you'll be able to see the PS cooler on the driver side. It's nothing special, just a tube and fin style two pass cooler. Replacing it with a 4 or 6 pass stacked plate style cooler and changing over to synthetic will add a ton of longevity to the system.

7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, I got the pump changed today and put in synthetic. The old pump definitely was bad. Just wondering, it had a internal failure because I could pull the whole shaft out about 2.5". It wasn't connected at all. Is this from a heat issue or just a mechanical mishap.
    Thanks again for your help!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More than likely the bearing failed due to excess heat and fluid breakdown. Both of which will be helped with the synthetic fluid conversion.

Good tip: Run it for a while and change the fluid again. You want to remove as much of the mineral fluid as possible from the system. Only way to do that is to change it a couple times..

9. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Believe it or not, the bearings were good and tight. No play on the shaft or wobble. It was like the shaft used to be connected somehow and now it isn't. It is like a metal shaft just sitting in bearings with no fixed points to the internal pump?????? HHHHMMMM!:rolleyes:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it wiped all the vanes out. Another possible symptom of heat/broken down fluid.

11. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thats good to know! Thanks for your time and answers! Keep up the good work of helping fellow plowers out!:salute:

12. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Although heat issues may be to blame the most common problem with these is the shaft itself snaps. Spin the pully side and nothing spins inside. Lots of posts on this same problem.

13. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I can't find the post of these? Can you help? I am interested in viewing some of these. This is my problem that I had!

14. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member