1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd plow mounts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by calhoun, Feb 14, 2004.

1. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

HI
    Need to get a plow for my new gmc.
    Want a plow with the highest (best ground clearance) mounts (the part that stays on the truck all the time). Probubly not the best reason to buy a plow but 90% of my the trucks life is spent without a plow attached.
    Noticed that the newer chevys plow mounts sit much lower and the plastic air dams need to be cut. Been looking at many dif brands of plows and they all seem to mount low.
    Saw a boss that I don't think I could clear a curb with.
    I presently have a fisher MM on my 97 K3500 srw. I have 13" of clearence from the bottom of the mount. (plow not on truck) Same plow on 03 2500HD only 8"
    Any 2000HD have a plow with mounts higher than 8"?

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Check into the Western Ultra-Mount. After taking off the two "reciever" channels you should have the factory ground clearance back.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

With my fisher MM2 I noticed that the factory skidplates and crossmembers are lower than the mount. So it isnt hurting ground clearance. Although it will hurt your approach angle no doubt but its still not the lowest part of the truck. Its about 10.5" I cranked my t bars for 3/4" to level things a bit and have 265's on it so it sits a bit higher than stock.

I havent whacked a curb with it yet but do have that fear. I had to make 2 cut outs of the plastic air dam but it actually looks pretty good and you cant realy notice. It was easy and blends well IMO. Just loped off the bottom peice of the hole that the tow hooks used to poke outa.

I am thinking of making a brushguard thing for it for the off season.......

4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I second that recommendation.

The plow receivers are super-easy to remove (designed that way says Western). I have some property that I'm not able to routinely brush-hog and I can drive through it w/o any problem. My old truck couldn't always do that what with all the plow stuff attached. Plus I can get the new truck washed at the automatic car wash, unlike the old truck where the car-wash manager didn't want the truck to go through with the plow frame attached. I do get a few ding weeds caught in the air dam when I drive in the "way back," but I can live with that.

I don't really like the fact that the air dam had to be chopped up like they did but I understand why as it leaves me with all the ground clearance I want.

Notes to Western:

It would be nice if Western came up with something to close up the areas that get chopped up on the air dam. I can't tell you how many guys (and girls, too) who "check out" my truck and then sorta chuckle at how the air dam looks. I think it's really poor that Western puts so much effort into designing their plows but doesn't seem to want to address how the truck looks after the plow's installed (especially when the plow's not installed onto the truck more than ½ of the year). I'm too cheap to have a "Summer air dam."

Plus too and also, I'd really like to see Western address the loss of the front tow hooks when an Ultra-Mount plow's installed. I have a coupla old tractors, and I get them stuck regularly on my property (they didn't have a whole lot a 4 wheel drive tractors 60 years ago when my tractors where built and I'm too, too cheap to buy new ones). I'd really like to have those tow hooks for when I get one (or both!!!) stuck deep in the mud. Right now I have to either use one of the other tractors (which works real well when you have tractors with all of 23 horsepower) or put one of those tow hooks into the back receiver and try to tow the tractor out kinda blind. I really prefer to pull from the front so I can see better what's happening. Plus too and also, I'm too cheap to buy a winch for the front, so the rear receiver hook is all I have to work with.

Yeah, I know, another long, boring post. Sorry 'bout that!!!

5. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

thanks for the reponses,
    I never thought of removing the airdam, instead of cutting, for the winter. Than removing the mount and reinstalling the air dam for the summer. Never took an air dam off, is it just a bolt on?

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

HUH, my mount doesn't even touch the valance. The frame of the truck is lower. I would like to see how yours is I love to make mine higher. Post a picture of it. Ill get one of my mount today too.

7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Turf:

I don't have a digital camera. I scanned in a photo from last Summer. This is about the best I can do. I haveta run to a doctor's appointment, so I'll try again in a day or so to see if I can get the photo lightened a bit using the scanner's software..

BRB

air dam 01.jpg

8. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

One try at lightening...

air dam 02.jpg

9. ratlover

from IL

You pop out the little center button and that lets you pop out the snap. There are quite a few of em. Its much easier to put the thing back together though. They are the same clips that hold the radiator shroud to the grill. I took off my plastic air dam till I could hack the bottom out of it so it would fit with my mounts and I really thought it looked cheesy. I had a 97 and that looked fine with the airdam off but the new trucks really look like crap without it IMO.
    Like i said I am thinking of building a brushguard that will use my mounts in the off season but I really dont think the mounts are that noticable.

10. ratlover

from IL

lets see if this works......

nope:eek:

11. ratlover

from IL

this one:confused:

Ok......how the heck do you rezize a photo :realmad: got the file size down but its bigger than 800x800:angry:

12. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I called doc... they said he's running late... something new & different!!!

Here's another try. By the way, the temporary receivers ARE IN as we were cleaning out the barn that day and had to move the plow.

Here's a blowup of the air dam hacked up like it is.

I drew white lines where the outline of the opening is, as best I could, in Powerpoint. Photos have to be 250 x 250 max, I think. In Powerpoint, that 3.5 inches square. Since I'm too cheap to pay for photo posting, this is all I can do right now.

air dam 05.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  13. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Finally, here's the complete photo. That's our 1947 Ford 8N tractor, nicknamed "Elly Mae," to the right, and my brother's 2002 Z71 way back by the house.

full photo 01.jpg

14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I just got home and it it too dark to get good picture of mine. I take it in morning

15. bert

bert Member

I GOT A 2003 CHEVY DURAMAX BOSS PLOW I DID NOT CUT MY AIR DAM LEFT IT ON I CAN CLEAR ANY CURB ILL POST A PIC TOMOROW

16. tembro

tembro Junior Member

I also have an 03 Chev, 1500HD LT Crewcab, onto which is a BOSS K2500 mount (because it's actually K2500 chassis). The mount just pushes the plastic air dam up, looks fine, didn't have to cut it. Lots of ground clearance.

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

curtis has a very low profile mount

cm.jpg

18. bert

bert Member

BOSS UNDER CARRIAGE

mvc-009s.jpg

19. bert

bert Member

BOSS PLOW MOUNT

mvc-007s.jpg