1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd Overheating without plow. New Fan Clutch & Pump/Thermostat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by brianbora1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Just changed the pump/thermostat and fan clutch and the temp goes right to 260 within 2-3 minutes. No bubling in the overflow tank, no fumes of anti-freeze out the exhaust, cap looks good. No heat coming from inside, heatercore lines seem to be luke warm( not sure if it is from the engine heat itself. Can come someone lead me to what I need to check for, other then above! Thanks in advanced!:realmad::confused:

2. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

I just got done getting air out of the system and I think it might have been the culprit!? Will exam further in the a.m.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Also check for collapsed or collapsing radiator hoses. That will do it pretty quick too.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it didn't overheat previously you simply had an airlock in the system from not re-filling it properly. Next time, remove the upper heater hose connection until you get the surge tank filled to the full line and then install the heater hose. That hose is the highest point in the system therefore allows 99% of the air to purge from the system as the coolant is being poured in. If you use this method on all the later GM's you won't even have to work at it to remove the air. It also avoids the gurgling from the heater core for the next two weeks that owners often complain about when this procedure isn't used.

5. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

B&B hit it right on the head. I filled the hose from the heater core and when it was full I had everything working. Thanks to all who replied!