1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd lube?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4speed, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 4speed

4speed Member

I just greased the front end on my truck but I could not find a zerk fitting on the lower ball joints. Am I going blind?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

They stopped putting grease fittings on most frontend components about a zillion years ago. They only put them on the ones they think need it. Once you replace them the new ones will have them. I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a Ford so the balljoints won't fall out. I've got 8 years and 143,000 miles on my lowers. Look for some sneaky hidden ones on the idler arm, sometimes you have to sneak thru a hole in the side of the frame to get them. Idlers a known wear item on a Chevy.
    I haven't heard the word "zerk" since I was a kid! I had forgotten all about that.

3. basset

basset Junior Member

My 04 2500hd has them (uppers and lowers). You have to turn the wheels to get at them..

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

The uppers are vertical...Obvious.
    The lowers are perpendicular to the uppers and parallel with the ground. Best way to access them is from the rear of the front tire.

Also..11 zerks total....If you're wondering......

5. 4speed

4speed Member

Thanks guys, I turned the wheels and there they were. I don't know how I missed them yesterday. I guess the fumes from the heater had me a little loopy:dizzy: . One thing I noticed while I was under there, the front bumper is completely rusted on the back side. On further inspection I saw about 6 rust spots on the chrome in front' and a few on the rear bumper also.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

How often are you supposed to grease those zerks? Is it in the manual?

7. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

I usually grease the front end every other oil change. be sure not to over grease because you can actually damage the boots and it makes a big mess with the grease oozing from the balljoint and getting all over the rims