1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500hd cc d/a plow recommendation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikey52471, Feb 19, 2004.

1. mikey52471

mikey52471 Junior Member

looking at a 04 gmc 2500 hd cc d/a dual 105 altenators.
    no plow pkg is avail what do the experts here recommend ? and why? thanks in advance for your help will be plowing driveways and so small lots on long island ny.

2. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Good Question...I was considering the same thing. The only thing holding me back are the warranty issues. I dont even know if Fisher even lists a plow for that configuration....I would do it in a heartbeat...3 Kids

3. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I have an extra cab with no plow package and run a boss8.2 power v no problem carying it at all.put what ever you want on it! a good dealer doesn't care.

4. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

here is a picture!

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Technically, with a Crew Cab and Duramax, GM doesn't want a plow on that truck.

The added weight of the Duramax and Allison (increased oil capacity, larger radiator/coolant, extra battery, two alternators in your case) really add up on that front axle.

Plus GM figures a 150lb occupant per seatbelt! Thats 750lbs minimum right there! 900 if you have the front 60/40!

This was my major reason (plus turning radius of course) for choosing a regular cab gas powered truck. I'm almost 2000lbs LIGHTER than your truck!

Bottom line....I'd do it, but you'd better not expect to have warranty work done on the front suspension/steering components. Depends on how your dealer is.

6. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I have an ext cab HD2500 6.0 gas now, but it would be nice to have a diesel and some more room for the kids. As far as a plow, I have a fisher 7.5 that is only 3 years old. The only plowing I do is 2 lots and 2 driveways. I just don't want the dealer to viod my whole warranty if an injector goes bad and they see the plow mounts...You never know these days...

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They would be doing something VERY illegal if they did.

Unless the failed component was directly related to something that the snowplow caused (ie: ball joints, tie rods, CV boot failure, idler arm...etc.)

If you purchase a Snowplow prep packaged GM truck, the factory gives you $900 cash back if you install a new plow! payup

8. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Well, just got back from the dealer. I had him call the Fisher dealer to see about putting a plow on the Duramax Crew. The salesperson's jaw dropped when theplow dealer told him not to even bring the truck in. They want nothing to do with it. 8.1 or 6.0 gas no problem. Oh well, looks like an 8.1 gas Crew for me...

9. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

They really don't even wink if the truck doesn't have a plow package...As long as it's gas...

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here are the figures.....

These numbers are the front axle weight rating (4670) MINUS the actual front axle weight. This gives us the actual PAYLOAD.

Note: This does NOT include passenger(s) or the effects that bed weight (neg or positive) has on the front axle weight.

6.0 Auto = 1260lbs
    8.1 Auto = 890lbs
    6.6 Auto = 702lbs

This is based on your standard CREW CAB 2500HD

Just for comparison, on my REGULAR CAB 2500HD I have a 1626lb payload. In other words, I can handle 366lbs more on my front axle just because of the Regular cab.

So, you can see that when you add in 150lbs per Seatbelt, the actual front axle payload can be overloaded without even having a snowplow!

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

as was said they cant void your warrantee unless they prove what ever you did or didnt do caused the problems.

I have a reg cab D/A and it handles the 9'6" EZV no problem and I run 100# or so less balast than fisher says is required.

For what you want the truck will handle it fine.....

Its up to the dealer to deny or take care of you. The only part you will have to play dice with is the front end if there is ever a question. And I dont think they can void your waranty for having the hook ups on there, they gotta prove that you had a plow on there and the overload killed what ever. Its up to you though if having the diesel is worth the potential fighting that it will cause. The 8.1 is a running MF too

12. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I think I'm leaning to the 8.1. Funny thing about the dealers I went to. They all chose the big block over the diesel,especially when their lots were full of diesels abd no 8.1's. Go Figure..