1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500HD Aluminum Wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Is anyone having trouble with the 2500HD aluminum wheels pitting or corroding?
    Mine are doing it and I'm wondering if there are any similar issues so I can try to get them replaced under warranty. It almost looks as if the thin protective coating wasn't applied to them when they were manufactured.
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Mine still look good. I dont keep on top of washing em like I should either. If you decided to get rid of em and wana sell em cheap leme know, I'm thinking of going to a sumer/winter tire set up so I am looking for another set of rims.

You may be able to get em on warantee if they are nasty. I wouldnt hold my breath on rims though, paint yes but I doubt rims. One way to find out though.

Alot of guys like going to the H2 rims btw, duno if you have seen them?
  3. I'll try to get the dealer to consider them for replacement. I got the extra set of wheels for snow, got 4 brand new GMC chrome wheels with the center caps on Ebay for $150!! Thanks for the input.
  4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

That should be covered under warranty. I had a full set of dullie rims replaced on a Ford F350 at 35 months for the exact same thing. Just make sure there is no external damage (from hitting curbs etc...)
  5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I just had all 4 warranteed on my 03 1500 hd 2 weeks ago they looked like hell.
  6. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

I plan on talking to dealer about mine. I washed the unit after every snowfall, at least every two weeks if no snow. Much corrosion showing already after one winter. My '94 had much less when I bought it after 4 winters.
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I've had Chevy replace my rims for that reason. All Chevy alum. rims will do that reason is they put that clear coat protection on them so they don't dull. My '99 has pits and peeling all over them. Since its under warraty have them replace them. If my memory serves me right, they refinish them and give you remanufactured ones which hold up better.
  8. Finally!

I finally had my aluminum wheels replaced under warranty. I chose to wait until the very end of my 3yrs. If any of you are considering this, you have to push hard. The dealership has to get approval from some higher-ups and that takes time. Also, it was 6 weeks lead time on the "refurbished" wheels. They look brand new to me, though.
  9. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

I, too, waited until close to the end of warranty to replace my wheels. They had started to peel and corrode after the first winter, despite frequent washing. The dealer didn't hesitate. Wheels arrived in a few days, service manager and I both agreed that the refurbished wheels were unacceptable. A week later I had a good looking set of refurbished wheels on the truck. The best part is that the dealer told me that this refurbished set has a life time warranty on finish. My dealer has been great on warranty work. Also replaced all 4 rotors under warranty. I paid for new ceramic pads, my choice.
  10. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

mine are on my 05 2500hd
  11. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I never would have guessed

My 04 is the same with large patches 3" across just corroded, clear coat looks to be peeling. I have about 59k miles so I wonder if my extended warranty will cover that. Also, my coverage may be over at 60k, I have to check, I've never had my brakes done. They must be close. Will they do them under warr. if they're close. What do you think. They do all my service. I had my 4th fan clutch replaced under warranty this spring among other things.