1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500 hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenstar lawn, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

I just started to get a squeak every time i turn my wheel. Any thoughts on what it could be?
  2. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

possible ball joints..

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

2004 - 2500 HD owner here as well.

If it is the squeak I think you hear I had it also. I PM'ed B&B about it here is the contents of what he said:::

I asked::::::::::
    #1- Is there a grease fitting somewhere along the steering shaft?
    I am getting squeaks when turning the wheel at low speeds while plowing. I know it is coming from the steering shaft as I can find the spot and turn back n forth to make the noise. Seems it is louder as it is colder and I do not hear it while normal driving on the roads.

B&B said:::::::::::
    1) No grease fittings on the steering shaft but I know what is causing the squeak. The steering shaft is rubbing on the firewall boot were the shaft passes through it. Colder temps cause the boot to shrink a little and it tightens up enough to make it squeak on the shaft as the shaft rotates.Flexing between the chassis and cab (from adding lots of weight) causes it also because the boot moves ever so slightly to a different spot on the shaft. Easy fix for it though, just work a little chassis grease or Fluid Film up into the boot and you'll find the noise disappears. You can remove the boots fasteners and slide the boot down the shaft to add the grease also, either way works.

Hope that helps, it did with me. :mechanic:
  4. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

Thanks for the info since its so nice out today maybe i will try doing that