1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'04 2500 HD Speedometer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Nov 29, 2006.

1. My speedometer has decided to go nuts the last 2 days. It's stuck at 60 mph and goes up to 90-100 while driving at 40. I did a search and found one hit here on the forum that was a couple of years old regarding the cluster going bad and the troubles getting it replaced/repaired. Anyone with any recent experience with this?? Thanks. I'm 1 month over my 3 years on the warranty.
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

From what i know about this problem is that it is an electrical malfunction as opposed to something mechanical. Also ive heard that chevy charges somewhere around $500 outside of warranty. Good luck man
  3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Common problem on 03-06 trucks from what I've been told. You need a cluster. I'm still hunting for one for mine as it is all over the place as well. A lot of guys switch them out for the Denali/SS/Escalde clusters so you may be able to find one on the cheap.
  4. Ebay is the way

There are several on Ebay, I was looking this morning. One particular guy seems to have the niche. He sells refurbished ones with a one year warranty all programmed with your info and mileage for $199. That's better than $500! I talked to my dealer...he's going to take care of me, although the Denali cluster sounds kind of cool.
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Excellent thread about a similar issue I had in my truck recently. Good info in there if you want it.
  6. dsc

dsc Junior Member

Speedo problem

I have had the same problem with my 04 GMC. You more than likely have a failed stepper motor. The motor is what drives the needle for your speedometer. I have done the research and have aquired a few of these motors for my own repair. If you have some electronic repair skills (de-soldering & soldering on a circuit board) I would be more than happy to sell you one of my spairs. Don't be discouraged it is definitely a repair not worth paying $250.00-$300.00 for!