1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 2500 - Choppy steering?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BrewCity6Pack, Jun 1, 2009.

1. BrewCity6Pack

BrewCity6Pack Junior Member

I have an 04 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins and have a minor problem that doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying.

When I'm making a medium to sharp turn at slow speeds, the wheel will wiggle back and forth, almost the same wiggle as if you had warped rotors trying to brake at a slower speed. It did it quite a bit the other day when I was pulling my trailer w/atv up a uphill windy driveway. Any clues on what this could be? I was almost thinking front u-joints as I did have some u-joint squeaking a couple of weeks ago...but now its gone.

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Not sure about a Dodge 2500, but I have seen that on heavy trucks equipped with a conventional steering box (which I believe the Dodge has). It's usually a sign of a pressure and/or flow problem inside the steering box (leaky seals maybe).

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like u-joints binding up.

4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I agree. Sounds like one or both of your front axleshaft U-joints is binding.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds logical my 2004 2500 Hemi is doing the same thing...we hardly use it in the summer so I haven't took it in yet!

I am thinking U-joints

6. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

2004 Dodge Ram

They go through front ujoints. Sealed and always turning. On your nickel I would upgrade, but mine is on warranty so for now they can pay for it.