1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 250 5.4 power problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by trucksareford42, Jul 19, 2010.

1. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

i have a 2004 250 crew cab with a 5.4 I had the the trans replaced in december. But after that i lost about 4 mpg and didnt have the power i had. I figured the new trans needded to break in so i used it for the rest of the plow season. Now i have even worse mpg and a huge power loss. Im baffeled i thought it was the tourque converter but it was brand new. the motor runs great not a problem. So is it the trans? i have 3:73 gearing iv been meaning to change it to 4:10. What is wrong?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What were you getting before and after the replacement?
  3. First off, a 5.4 in a 250 will be a dog. 3.73 gearing doesn't help either.

Is the truck an auto?

It may be the way the chip in the auto shifts, differently from say, 7.3 to a 6.0 to a 5.4 gasser.

JMO, Sean.
  4. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

Before replacement i was getting 14 highway now im only getting 9. At the time of purchase thats all i could afford. I have a superchip for it and re programed it but it really didnt help.
  5. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

How many miles are on the truck?
  6. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

95000 miles
  7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

check the cat converter.....
  8. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

I didnt think about the cat good idea ill do that thanks.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

re-set the computer
  10. silver08

silver08 Junior Member

not sure if your still trying to fix this problem . but make sure the converter is locking up