1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by captfudd, Aug 15, 2004.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

I recently traded my 97 Dodge 1500 for a 04 Chevy 1500, I plowed with my Dodge and really had no significant problems.

Looking for some insight on what I might expect with this truck.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Would add load boosters and possibly turn up the torsion bars. The 1500's were nose dragers with plows on them

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

run some ballast and ditto :nod:

4. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

I RAN A 1999 GMC 1500 W/ A 7.5 POLY PRO DID FINE. ALL I DID WAS TURN UP TORSION BARS AND TIMBRENS.

5. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

The 2004 Silvrado 1500 user manual has a formula to calculate the actual weight of a snow plow on the front axle. It goes like this:

W' = (W * (A + B))/B

where W' is the calculated weight, W is the weight of the plow, A is the distance of the plow from the front axle, and B is wheelbase. I've tried to apply the formula but with this formula the choice of plows is pretty limited for my truck even with the plow prep package. Many of the plows suggested by the various manufactures don't work when the formula is applied. But I want a plow so I'm considering either the Fisher 760LD or the Blizzard 760LD both of which exceed the front axle reserve capacity when the formula is applied.
    I looked at the polys but am concerned about how well they will standup against a frozen EOD. It sounds like the poly will handle it but I'm concerned about the frame of the plow. With a metal moldboard the ribs are welded to the blade.

I'm concerned about adding timbrens or anything else to the suspension. I'm not sure how this would affect the warrenty. I'm going to wait to see how low the front end drops. Like I said, I want a plow so I'll add them if I need to.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard 760 LT and turn up torsion bars 5 turns, add 500 lbs ballast in bed and your all set. That's what I run.

7. bobingardner

captfudd - What size motor does your chevy have? Mine has the 5.3L and after running a 3.0L Ranger for the past 5 years I'm really enjoying the Chevy. The reason I ask is because I've been curious about the how much a smaller engine affects the front GAWR. Do you have the plow prep package?

8. captfudd

captfudd Member

I have the smaller 8cyl don't remember whether it's a 4.6 or 5.3, how do you know if the truck is plow prepped or not.

9. bobingardner

The option codes sticker in the glove compartment will contain the code VYU for the plow prep package.

10. captfudd

captfudd Member

I do not have the plow prep, should I go back to the dealer and have it done, so that it's covered by warranty?

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The plow prep cannot be added by the dealer. The items can be installed but it will not change warranty. I have a 2001 Yukon with a 7.5 Meyer and Timbrens and it hauls it fine.(only used as a backup because it's my wifes and it doesn't haul salt)....

12. bobingardner

Hi capt.

I need to start by saying I know nothing about plows except for what I've learned from this site, so I might not your best source of advice.

(Edit: The previous statement didn't come out right. What I meant was that I have no real-world experience. :blush2: )

Having said that I don't think the plow prep package is absolutely necessary as long as you stay within the specifications of your truck. You can get the GAWR, GVWR, and front axle reserve capacity from the driver side door jamb. This will tell you how much weight you can add to the front end but it won't tell you if you can add a plow. From what I can tell the big concerns are the alternator and transmission. Unfortunately I have no idea how to tell if what you currently have is sufficient for plowing. But a transmission cooler seems to be a requirement. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Some websites such as Fisher/Western have tools you can use to select a plow but other sites such as Blizzard don't. Sites that don't provide tools usually provide a tech support email link. You can also post questions here, or call a dealer. I've done all three.

But please remember that the warranty is between you and GM. Plow manufacturers have a selfish interest in making sure you get the plow that's right for your truck. If they say the don't have one then they don't have one and you have no recourse if GM decides not to honor your warranty for anything that may be related to the plow. You can probably argue with them and may prevail but how good are you are that type of interaction? I suck at it. That's one reason why I wanted the plow prep package. In addition to beefing up the truck a little to handle a bigger plow I figure it beefs up my position in case GM denies a claim. Even if the manufacture states that a specific plow will work on your truck the responsibility for the final decision is still yours and the discussion will be solely between you and GM if they deny a claim.

As for personal experience, I just took delivery of a Fisher 760LD. It was a tough decision because I really think I could have gone with a Fisher 760RD or a Blizzard 760LT. But when I did the math the only plow that met the requirements given in the owner's manual was the 760LD. Fortunately they redesigned the plow this year adding 3 inches to the moldboard so I think it will be OK for the light, non-comercial type of plowing I plan on doing. The truck seems to be able to handle it. The front end drops a little more than an inch with the plow raised and it doesn't seem to have had more than the expected affect on handling. I hit a 6" deep sink hole on the edge of my driveway and the plow didn't bottom out. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  13. captfudd

captfudd Member

Thanks for the advice, I do know the truck has a transmission cooler it is set up for towing and I have towed with it and it rocks. I will look at the information on the door jamb and see where I stand.

14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Just as an fyi....in the back of your owners manual, it does say specifically that if you add a plow without having the plow prep package GM will not cover any damage caused by the excess wieght....se page 4-64. Just keep this in mind. I'm in the same boat as you are with searching for a plow for my 1500.

Godo luck