1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 1500 t-bar

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1 bad bolt, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i have a 2004 1500 extended cab with a 7'6 blade and looking to see if any one stiffened the torsion bars on there truck and how high are you running them to still stay in the safe zone. i know how to stiffen them just not sure of how much. thanks for any suggestions

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most 1500's (in addition to a set of Timbrens) need at least three turns on the T-bar adjusters to work well. On a 1/2 ton you'll normally run out of adjustment before running out of suspension travel.

And just for clarification, adjusting the T-bars doesn't not stiffen them, it only raises the ride height with an adjustment. Only way to physically stiffen them is to install a stiffer set of bars.

3. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

ok thanks for the clarification on helping me understand , i still would like to raise the height of the front end since it looks low to me and if i can get away with moving the t-bars to raise the truck some i would be happy . do you have a recomendation on where to start with how many turns i could get away with to almost level the front with the rear safely?

4. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i think b&b just answered your question...3 turns of the bars

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Measure the front and rear body height right on the body line...what is the front to rear difference? Gonna bet it's at least a 2" difference.

How many threads do you have left on the adjuster bolt that has the least amount of threads left? Generally the dr side will have the least. I don't hesitate to put 4 turns in them to start. But most 1/2 tons do not have much more than that left.

6. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i havnt measured the front and rear to tell you a exact yet but will tomorrow i will climb under the truck as well and check out what i have to work with before starting . thanks for the advice

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Have you installed Timbrens yet? If not, Do that first!

8. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Ive got a 97 GMC 1500 extended cab with a 7.5 Western ultramount pro. Before I mounted the plow I brought the torsions up 3 rounds to level the truck. The front end seldoms bottoms with the plow on it, but understandable it does sag with the plow on and lifted.

9. Mudchevy

Mudchevy Junior Member

I have a new body style 2000 1500 chevy with an 8' western ultramount and my bolts bottomed out for my t-bars. So I went out and got 3/4 t-bars and I love them. I bought a pair from the junk yard for $80 and put them in myself. The guy at the yard said that the t-bars fit 88 to 06 gm.