1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

04 1500 need info

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BBC co, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 04 1500 quad cab that i put a 7.5 mm1 21" blade on it and am wondering what if any thing will be an issue for this truck mechanically if any thing.

Truck is stock 4.7magnum has the electric trans haul button on shifter slt 6' bed 115k mi. only owner

would a k&n air filter or any other minor part swaps help out?

also what is max tire size recommended needs some atm any recommendations would be great

does it need to have weight in the rear as balast weight to push good

only thing that i noticed when plowing with it is it it sucks the amps dry on the voltage gauge in cab
    and does not like to travel for any distance at higher speed with out high engine temp

would larger alternator / coolers be needed or just drive it till it dies

Thanks for any help

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

New fan clutch, second battery, yes add ballast, I plow with stock tires and it does ok but I'm sure smaller studded snows would be better. K & N filter, not sure it makes much of a difference to be honest. Be ready to change ball joints, upper control arms, tie rod ends, u joints, wheel bearings etc. Dodge front ends leave some to be desired in my opinion. Also keep it in tow/haul when plowing. That truck will treat you well as long as you take care of it and don't plow like a complete rock head. Oh and yes, I have that exact truck and like anything else as long as you do your preventative maintenance you'll be fine.

3. BBC co

Great info thanks, already did the balls and tie rod ends. Defiantly gonna change out the u joints now that you mentioned them, i can hear slack in drive train as well as take your advice on the fan clutch and second battery thanks alot!

also posted in the fisher forum but this may be a general enough question that some one here may be able to answer if not you peteo1.

I have a 7.5' fisher mm1 21" blade with the 6" lift piston which is about to fail so can i swap the 6" out with a 10" so it can get up on the islands cause as it is now it hits the ground coming out of any kind of decline lot exit when fully lifted cause truck is so low, obviously a bigger set up is a no brainer but am stuck with this set up till i make some money so looking for ways to improve as i do maintenance

Also can i raise the front end from the factory setting on this truck by tightening the torsion bars? or would i need a kit

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, crank the torsion bars and it will give you some lift. You may need an alignment after, but I never did one on my trucks.

Peteo is right on with everything he posted.

As for the gauge, I had that issue with my 04 Ram 2500 HEMI which had the plow prep on it, I believe its more of a computer issue than an actual charging problem.

5. BBC co

Great thanks, ya the gauge worried me more the first few times then any thing seemed to operate fine and nothing in the electric system shows any loss of power other then the gauge, unfortunately i went thru a large puddle and now have a noise that sounds like a bearing and without taking the belt off to further test it pretty sure its the alternator so probably have to replace that sooner then later any recommended upgrade info on that?:confused:

and how much weight for ballast or is there a free chart somewhere for figuring that out

6. plowguy43

I went with an altenator from Advanced Auto Parts, If you google "advance auto parts discount code" you can find some nice coupons to save a ton of money if you buy it online. Mine worked fine and had a lifetime warranty (I replaced it in my HEMI thinking it was bad due to the gauge problem, only to find out it wasn't the altenator).

Fisher says 430lbs for Ballast (using their current MM2 7'6" SD plow)

http://ematch.fisherplows.com/bladeinfo.asp

7. BBC co

Ok glad to hear it would have gone to the dealer fml saved me money i'm sure, do u think if i end up changing it out i should maybe buy the alternator that comes int he hemi assuming its larger and same for fan clutch or just stick with all stock maintence Thanks for the fast responses here to guys

8. plowguy43

Just checked and they don't share the same altenator. The output of the altenator is regulated by the computer which is why it drops so fast ( the spike from the load taken by the plow, the computer is slow to react and re-charge).

This is the altenator I found for your truck at Advance Auto Parts:
    Worldwide Altenator 132AMP's Lifetime Warranty - $119.99 + $50.00 Core
    Part#12562

Then I found this (its the best I could find) discount code - A124 $40 off purchases of $100 or more

Total once core is returned should be about $80

You do need to buy it online (can be shipped to your house or picked up at the store) in order to get the discount.

9. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i have a 2004 ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi.
    ive put in new ball joints, wheel bearings, u-joints, timbren bump stomps($200)Thumbs Up, cranked t-bars a few turns, added new fan clutch for ($65) for my overheating problem, re-built my alterantor from stock 136A to 160A ($100)Thumbs UpThumbs Up, got all terrain tires, and put salt bags in the bag bed for my lots. the truck works great.
    just make sure when you are shifting my forward to reverse / reverse to forward, that you make a complete stop. dodge transmissions are not the greatest.

"DODGE the father, RAM the daughter"

10. plowguy43

Actually, your truck has the 545RFE trans which has proven to be very reliable and take a lot of abuse. The main cause of failure is 2 Prime (your truck has 6 forward gears, second gear is seperated into 2 gears- one for normal driving, and one for tow/haul and passing called 2 prime). This gear is weaker and usually called upon for heavier loads (hauling or going Wide open throttle downshifts). Thankfully this doesn't usually fail unless you've modded the truck a bit or really beat the crap out of it.

On my 04 Ram 2500 HEMI the one thing I never worried about letting me down was the drivetrain, with my current V10 I treat the transmission with baby gloves even though it is also a reliable trans. The stigma goes to the 46RE which failed fairly often in the V8 gas trucks of 94-01 (02 2500)

sorry for the book, I just get annoyed with that

11. BBC co

what size/series plow u using on the 04 hemi mike

and plow guy i'm a big fan of reading useful info especially when i applies to me! so while we are on the trany and drive train topic might as well ask what i can push as far as length of lot or driveway with what i think to be a early homesteader blade correct me if i am wrong it's 21" tall

trying to get an idea of what not to try and plow or at what point i need to make smaller passes

also any idea if i can switch out the 6" lift piston for a 10" with no issues or will the frame not allow that
    [​IMG]

12. peteo1

I had thought about doing the same thing with ny alternator but I had heard you need to get the computer reprogrammed because it will still only let the alternator charge at 136A. I don't know how much truth there is to that though so I figured I'd ask.

13. peteo1

I forgot to mention, if there is a problem with the lift cylinder then replace it with the proper part. If you want your plow to lift higher then you have to adjust the chain on the a-frame.

14. BBC co

ya I already did the chain only issue with that is coming in and out of some spots there is not enough downward travel slack to keep contact so have to deal with bolting and unbolting it to adjust lift which i would like to eliminate

what is the biggest fisher blade my truck can handle any of the 7 6" series?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. plowguy43

That's a LD series plow, your truck would handle a HD style Fisher 7'6" plow.

That said, your truck will plow without issue. I ran an HD plow on my 03 Dakota 4.7 V8 (same engine and tranny / transfer case and even axles as your Ram). And I plowed driveways and a large parking lot with it- each after the storm as they are all foreclosed properties.

16. BBC co

only thing that could of made my day better then hearing all that was if it started snowing :drinkup: really appreciate all the info

to get the most out of this for the season and recover my money by doing driveways would i be able to put a back drag edge kit to help with the fact the truck is a boat long

or shoes or a foil if i get into any lots or is it best to just try to get HD?

and if i start looking for a HD can i just buy a mold board or do i need the whole plow side

what are the stacking ability of it combined with the trany ok to put it in 1st and make a mountain or just get it to the curb and call it a day assuming i will only be a back up for a company with 6 8'+ plows they can stack after the storm just want to know how long i could hang in there after a storm and it still be productive not at the cost of my truck

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  17. peteo1

I'm reasonably sure you can just buy the plow side if you want the hd model. I think all the wiring is the same but I'm not 100% on that. You should check with the dealer. Ask them what they would give you on a trade.

18. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

@ BBC- I'm using a 8' hiniker straight steel blade. its a little heavier than what i wanted (7'6" i wanted) but i was in a jam and thats the only blade my dealer had on hand.

@ plowguy- well thats good to hear that my tranny is a pretty good one. i do have a issue when i shift from reverse to drive in a cold start. once i move it from R to D my rpm's drop, sometimes stalls out. if im fast enough to catch it, i can step on the gas and build up the rpms, then its fine. dont know if its a solenoid, sensor, fluid level.... it only happens once in a blue moon, so im not to worried.

@ peteo1- someone told me that when you upgrade your alt., you have to upgrade your wires(bigger). my guy that did it for me said since im not upgrading the AMPS dramatically, say to 200A, my stock wires are sufficient enough. he didnt mention anything about the computer. i will be making a phone call to him to double check. thanks

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The plow will suck a single battery down very fast.A better upgrade is to install a second battery. As for the rest of the truck everything will be fine as long as you keep your head about the limitations of the truck. Had the same truck as yours about 5 years ago. Will move lots of snow and balast is key. Take smaller bites and more balast when it gets very deep.

20. plowguy43

It'll stack fine, leave it in Drive and raise the plow as your approaching the pile. Just remember, its not a tractor so there is limits LOL (see below)

Your truck side is compatible with any straight blade MM1 & MM2 (except for the 6'8" plow and 2013 fleet flex plows).

I'd run what you have for a bit and see how it is, personally I love the Xblades from Fisher. They shouldn't even offer any other straight blade because its so much better all around.

Sounds more like a sensor issue (not on your tranny) from you intake/throttle. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'll research and see what I can find.

x stack1.JPG

x stack2.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012