1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Silverado 2500 overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bostonyj7, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

I have the plow -rep package but still over heat. I thought the fan clutch in that package took care of that. Am I wrong?

I bought the replacement clutch fan from AZ and it kinda looks differant. Anyway. I cant get the old fan clutch off. It pulls the pully as well as the large nut. Im no novice at this like this, but I just cant get it off. The replacement parts is right hand threaded so Im assumin that lefty lucy.......................

Im a stay at home dad and get like 30 minutes at as time. Time to really figure this out is not really an option

2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Give the nut a good tap with a cold chisel! It will come right off without having any special tools. Ive done four of these this way. I think your right about lefty loosy! LOL!

3. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

I put a vice grips on the pully and tryed to turn the nut but it still wont move

4. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

are you saying give it a rap on the edge of the nut, to spin it off.

C-

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Yes sir! Never failed for me.

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I used a strap wrench on the pulley and it came off now problem. And I have the arm strength of a 4 year old school girl... :jester:

7. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

looks like its never fail me either.

Thanks
    C-

8. 4speed

4speed Member

I had the same problem. If you have an air hammer with a chisel you can use that to buzz it right off, if not use the cold chisel and hammer.

9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

If you haven't taken the factory one off yet, take it to a dealer and tell them exactly what happens. There's a TSB for trucks in that year that have the plow prep package, but didn't get the plow prep fan clutch. I had a 2005 with that issue - after it was fixed, I could drive it like it was stolen with the plow and not budge the temp. It's a free fix with the TSB.

10. slone

slone Senior Member

Gm has had issues with this and had memos out but not recalls because of this problem, check with your dealer, you may get it replaced for free. They replaced mine on a 04-2500hd for free. They had the memo, they just weren't telling everybody unless they had problems.

11. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

I talked to my service guy and he told me to angle the plow (I have a back drag blade so I cant angle it). He said try that as the clutch can be expensive. I mentioned the TSB and he said id wasnt a recall, so its not free. I was looking at around $350 for it to be replaced

AZ had it for $60 and it was on in an hour. Would have been nice for the dealer to take care of this, but my trucks paid for and now thers no reason for them to "take care of me" it seems.

Drove around with it yesterday nice and high off the ground, and I could even put the snowfoil on it aswell.

C-

12. slone

slone Senior Member

glad you got it fixed. wasn't sure if you new about the bulliten. they should have to fix them on all the trucks since they know it is a problem. i guess they are only worried about selling them not standing behind them.