1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 silverado 2500 banging over bumps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by designscape, Oct 31, 2011.

1. designscape

designscape Junior Member

Hello to everyone, I've been searching through the forums and can't find an answer so I thought I'd post my question to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing as me. When I drive over a rough road I have a loud banging noise, this is negated if I put the brakes on while driving over the bumps, what could this be? I've crawled underneath and banged around with the exhaust system and it doesn't seem to be that and I'd like to try and figure it out before I take it to a shop. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

'03 Silverado 2500 7'5" BOSS straight blade
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Sounds like you should check your brakes.
  3. fast*st

fast*st Junior Member

Applying the brakes can load the suspension, check your calipers for excessive movement as well as your sway bar bushings/end links and suspension pivots.

Finding movement can be hard but sometimes rust streaks will give it away. A clamped joint with a wash of bright orange rust suggests movement.
  4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I had a loud banging too, After searching a million times i found one of my front bumper brackets had broken .. bang your front bumper while your truck is parked and see if it makes the noise..
  5. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I had a banging noise in the front and would stop with applying the brakes turned out to be a broken caliper slide bolt. Had to replace the caliper and bracket on that one.
  6. designscape

designscape Junior Member

Yeah it doesn't seem to be the bumper, could be a caliper bolt. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
  7. fast*st

fast*st Junior Member

And keep us posted! Sometimes a dead blow hammer is helpful to find rattles, just don't test anything fragile like oxygen or ABS sensors.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

check your torsion bar mounts...the rubber separates from the metal part of the mount and allows it to bang around.