1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Ram with 4 port isolation module - buzzing!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shott8283, Mar 25, 2011.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

I just finished up installing my MVP ultramount yesterday. working on some of the kinks

the plow and wiring came out of an 06 ram. got the mounts bolted on, and the wiring done. my local Western Dealer was able to swap out the 9008 headlight harness for my 9007 harness i needed free of charge, a 1 for 1. installed the harness and tested the headlights and only one light would light up. after further investigation and troubleshooting, it turned out that there is a small 3 pin plug on the harness that accepts a jumper plug, this is called the "configuration plug" i jumped the wire and now the headlights work on the truck correclty

the 2 issues I have left , is that

1- when no plow is hooked up ., i turn the lights on and they work fine, and i turn the highbeams on i hear a relay in the iso mudule buzzing. this will only happen when the highbeams are selected. like it has a bad ground or not switching all the way. i cant imagine this being normal

2- when the plow is hooked up the high beams on the plow come on when low beams are on the truck, and switch the high beams on the truck and the plow lights dim. i understand that the i may have to rewire the plow lights. is this a possibility?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Something has to be misswired. Check your plugs on the four port module, there should be tags on the four cables that match the number cast in the plastic of the module. Also check that the headlamp plugs are installed correclty. Some Western headlight harnesses have two possible ways to plug into the vehicle harnesses. They are marked with the two types of headlamps on the plug. For example it will say HB1 on one side and HB5 on the other. If you are plugged into the wrong side or are in two different plugs from right side to left that could cause problems. There is no way that you should have to rewire the plow lamps, it's something wrong on the truck / installation for sure.

Is this a regular MVP or and MVP plus?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to configure the headlamp plugs for HB5, they're most likely set up for HB1 currently so they need swapped.

Page 10 should point you to the needed change. 8436 kit

4. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

Ok thanks guys this is on an 06 mvp and an 03 ram

5. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

Ok thanks guys this is on an 06 mvp and an 03 ram. I will have to dig into it tomorrow sometime it sounds like the pins in the headlamp are possibly wrong at least it sounds that way

6. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

ok update:

went out and checked really quick and compared what my harnesses show and what the page 10 on the PDF from western that BB linked to and they are different . the PDF shows switching around a yellow and blue wire while my harness shows an orange and brown wire. the yellow and blue on my harness are pinned into different locations then the PDF shows. also. my module PN is a 26400.. which on one of the Western PDFs shows to be correct for my truck. but the harness PNs are 26292 and 26293 which i cant find any information on. im thinking that the whole light harness is wired and pinned wrong. but if im lucky. ill use this

http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

and ill use the pin out diagram and just land the pins where they are supposed to be for the harness i need. who knows. maybe ill get lucky .. thankfully these connector plugs are able to be repinned

7. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

ok! GOT IT!!! Thanks for your guys's help.

the harnesses ended up being wired for the HB1 bulbs, so I had to reland the pins for the HB5 bulb. everything is working great!!!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As I presumed. Good job. :drinkup: