1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 Ram 2500 w/plow...any comments?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ScottyB., Jan 29, 2007.

1. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

With a little luck I will pick up a "new to me" '03 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi tonight with 40k on it. I have a Hiniker 8' straight, but I won't be hanging it on the Ram until my '86 F250 dies, which I hope won't be for 2 years. In the mean time...is there anything anyone would suggest to make the Ram plow ready? I't doesn't have a prep package but it has the tow package and is pretty well equipped otherwise.
    Any thing else to watch for in general?
    It's gonna suck gas, but that's just the way it goes.

Thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

The plow package is heavier front springs a Bigger alternator (160 amp is a must) and a skid plate. So you could get away with a set of Timbrens and the skid plate is not all that important

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a hiniker 8' on a 2500 it has the plow group on it and it hardly knows the plow is there.
    Get a set of timbrens for her and maybe a second battery.
    You can get a bigger alt after that one goes south on you.

If you want to you can easily swap out those springs with the same ones that are in the plow package #38 and # 39..

There is a couple of threads on this, it is not that hard to do your self.