1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Power Steering Dilemma

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Troybaseball21, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

My buddy has a 2003 2500 Quad Cab long bed. It has a new power steering pump, new steering gear box, 33" tires and 3" levelers on the front. When the truck is running and sitting it is about impossible to turn the wheel. When you are driving down the road the wheel turns fine. When you hit the brakes, the wheel becomes harder to turn. Any idea's whats going on? I'm thinking either a clogged hose, or bad hyrdaulic booster.

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

It's most likely not a clogged hose. It's just an overburdened system. The power brakes and steering system on a Dodge diesel are combined. You may already know this. I'm assuming it's a diesel, the diesels use hydraulic pressure as a brake booster because of the low vacuum of diesel motors. The extra strain from the large tires is putting too much burden on an underpowered steering system. My suggestion, buy a high output aftermarket power steering pump. This usually solves the problem.

3. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

I dont know that buying a new higer flow steering pump is the answer?????

I have an 04 2500 cummins truck thats lifted 6" and runs 35x12.5LT17 rims and tires and I have no issue with turning the wheel from full lock to full lock while parked and not moving. I never replaced the steering pump or even hoses for that matter.

I would try to flush the system by removing each hose and trying to turn the wheel to push the fluid through it to see if some will come out.

Check the cummins forum also since this is a topic that comes up often on that web site

4. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

The weird part is that it has just started. The pump was just replaced maybe 2-3 months ago. Was working fine until now. As for CumminsForum, already on there.

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Same problem here with my 03 and my 05. Had the 33's on and they changed the pump, entire line system and something else twice in less than 4 months and when the bigger tires are on forget about it. I put the stockers back on and no problems... So now I have tires going to waste. They told me they would not fix it again because they deemed it was the tires causing the problems NOT their products.

6. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Hmm. I have an 05 with 285's on it. Maybe I will switch him tires to see what that does to his truck. Not sure why the tires and 3" lift would cause that problem. You would think that the pump would have enough power to move everything.