1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 K1500: Where do you tap into accessory power for the controller?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by beatle78, Nov 29, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Hi guys,

I'm almost finished wiring my '03 K1500 for a fisher MM setup.

I thought tapping into an accessory power was going to be a breeze BUT I realized the fuse box is under the hood and not in the cab.

What do you guys do for tapping into accessory power?

I could run the red wire backk through the firewall and into the fuse box, BUT I would rather keep it in the cab (if it makes sense to do that)

Thanks,
    beatle78

2. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

You have a relay center under the hood with relays/fuses in it, but when you open the drivers side door, on the side of the dash there is a panel you can pop off and under it is the fuse box. when wiring my boss i had to tap into a switched power and thats where i got it. hope this helps. my truck is also an 03, but a gmc.

3. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

thanks! sweet, that is perfect....

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. Onebadbowtie86

Those add a circuit's that b&b uses is what was on my wiring for my boss plow, and i just popped out my ignition fuse for my truck and put that in, they work awesome and seem safer then just plugging wires in.

6. brad96z28

I always run my own fused wire Directly from the battery And run several accessories from there depending on amp draw.A plow controll has little amp draw so Add a circut is fine.

7. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

all you hafta do is buy a "t-tap" and take your dash off, its really easy, there will be two 9/32nds bolts on the little dash part under your steering wheel, than it will pop off. take a 10 millimeter with a ratched and take that metal piece off that goes around your steering post. there will be a couple big wires under there, red, pink, posibly a bigger yellow one. take the t-tap and crimp it onto your pink wire, this is your "ignition" wire. than run that wire to your accessory power.

8. Onebadbowtie86

The way i did just seems a little easier then that lol

9. brad96z28

Ya just slight overkill for a plow controller.

10. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I bought an add a circuit, thanks to B&B, and thanks to Onebadbowtie86, I found out there was another fuse panel on the side of the driver's side dash. I just need to pickup a grommet tomorrow to put in the 5/8" hole I drilled in the firewall for the 6 pin connector!