1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 HD's white paint rusting like shipwreck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dirtyriffs, Mar 20, 2004.

1. dirtyriffs

dirtyriffs Junior Member
    from ohio

My boss and I have 03 HD's. One Chevy other GMC. Both white. And both rusting pretty bad. Lots of rust pits all over body. Any1 else w/ white paint have similiar problems??
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Still under warrenty?
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My Ford is white and I HAD the same problem. It's not your paint rusting.:nono:
    I thought it was the same thing but it's the brake dust coming off your brakes and rusting on your paint.
    Here's what I did and worked.
    Get some wheel cleaner WITH acid in it. Dillute it 1/4 acid to 3/4 water in a spray bottle. Spray it on your truck one section at a time and rub on with a wet sponge. Rinse off right away. Repeat this everywhere there is rust pits. I GUARAINTEE it will work. My truck looks brand new. Keep me posted on the outcome.:waving:
  4. primetime

primetime Junior Member
    from tulsa

If its an 2003 take it back to the dealer chevy has a 5 year warntee on the paint and they will fix it . i have not herd of any problems with the 2003 i know the had all kinds of problems with the 1988 to 1996 trucks paint pealing, but i thought the fixed all of there problems,
  5. The Boss

Like I said, it's not the paint.:dizzy:
  6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Then a good heavy coat of wax.
    Most people dont think they have to wax the newer clearcoated finishes.
    It sure helps paint last longer.
    Mark K
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

DIRTY.............I think the Boss hit the nail on the head about
    metal in the brake dust making the rust spots on the sides of
    your white trucks.............

The BEST way to remove the spots is to use some Dupont
    White polishing compound. It is low abrasive and won't mess up your paint job. Don't use the red HD stuff either!
    Follow up with any good brand wax........

And if you have the PYO (fancy) wheels on your rig don't use brillo pads etc. or you will mess up the clearcoat on them.
    Soft cloth and soap and water only!.......
    I blasted a set on my 90 GMC !

I have had a few white cars too.........................geo
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  8. CHPL

CHPL Member

Go to an auto parts store and buy detailing clay, (mothers has a kit) Its like playdough you spray a lubricant on the paint in a small area and then polish it with the clay. I have a white 03 hd and have to clean the dust off a few times a year. It seems to be the worst when the roads are salted heavy.
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Since new?.......RAIL DUST
  10. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

My 02 150 did the same thing and like a few others on this thread said it's from the brake dust. Brought mine back to the dealer and they buffed and waxed the truck under warranty. Since then I've put ceramic brake pads all around what a difference not only in stopping but no more ugly rust pits all over my truck
  11. CHPL

CHPL Member

What was the cost of ceramic pads for the front and rear?
  12. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

For a set of regular mettalic for my truck are like $80 for the ceramics are $95 so a $15 differance. It's worth the extra money. Verses spending $350 to have someone buff the spots off your truck. or wasting a whole Sat. rubbing and buffing yourself.
  13. The Boss

I've heard of guys using the clay also. I did my whole truck in under 10 minutes with the wheel cleaner I used.:nod:
  14. dirtyriffs

dirtyriffs Junior Member
    from ohio

Thnx for all the info. Its still cold here, so in a couple weeks ill try cleaning it and i'll let yall know.Thanx again:)
  15. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It IS called Rail Dust. When I worked at a Chevy dlr. all of the white vehicles seemed to have this problem. What exactally causes this I don't know. We always used correct-it clay from NAPA. Spray on solution, rub with clay, wash and wax. Worked every time.
  16. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

What a great forum for info.

My cousin's wife has a white Grand Cherokee. She's got the same thing with the white paint on the Jeep.

I've copied some of this thread and I'll give a copy to my cuz.

I just wanted to thank those who chimed in with such good advice.
  17. DestroyerOfSenses

DestroyerOfSenses Junior Member

I went and purchased ceramic pads and that solved my problem too. Thanks for the info!