1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 HD brakes...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike33087, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

okay so i have replaced calipers front / rear, pads front / rear, and rotors front/rear... AND THEY STILL SQUEAK....:realmad: its driving me frigging crazy any ideas of what it might be and how to make it stop
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

only when your using the brake they squeak?
    or all the time?
  3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

yup only when you lightly press on the brake, it you brake hard and fast it does not do it
  4. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

How are the slides?Do the pads float in the bracket? As I recall the squeek is caused by the movement of the pad on the metal.My 2 Cents. Hope it may help.
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

couple options. im not responsible.

go buy some lube at the auto parts store to put on the caliper pins. file the corners lightly of the brake pads. i think there is also little tabs on there that should be bent over. (so someone told me) try the eight to zero hit the brake test a few times. then let them cool and see if it goes away when you start driving again. if this doesnt work you may have to buy a different brand of pads. you could sand the rotors lightly and see if that does anything too. trial and error with this type of thing i think.isnt there little shims and anti squeak things that slide in and help hold the pads from vibrating to? id make sure you not missing any parts.

i dunno.

on another note. ive been to danvers mass. like it. you know a company there i think called frontier construction? i sold him a lot of hard wood flooring a few years back for his personal home. if you know them tell him im sorry about backing the delivery truck (international) over his newly seeded lawn. it was just a long long lawn and a long walk down the walkway to carry flooring.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Check your U-joints :nod:
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

im asking this because i dont know much about it, but what would theu joints have to do with the brakes
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure the pins and places where the pads slide / contact the calipers on the METAL ends of the pads are LIGHTLY lubed with high temp CALIPER / BRAKE GREASE.
    Wire brush the places first to get all the rust off. Even when they have the anti-squeal pads on the back of the pads they can squeal. Get some anti-squeal stuff from the parts store. put a stripe on the back of the pads where it will contact the pistons of the caliper. Follow the directions on the package. clean all the surfaces the stuff goes on real well with alcohol. Might even try washing the pads real well in hot water and dish soap so no grease or anything is left on them. Clean the rotors with brake cleaner or alcohol too. Might even go the the library and look at pro repair manuals and make sure your not missing stainless pieces that the pads ride on. A lot of brake systems use them and new ones come with rebuilt calipers.