1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 GMC sierra to 08 GMC sierra. Ultra mount change over.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pohouse, Dec 14, 2013.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Western Midweight, ultra mount with 3 plug module. Currently on a 03 Sierra. I need to put it on 08 Sierra. Will the following parts changeover?

Truck mounts? (I think not)
    Receivers? (I think yes)
    All wiring? (no idea)

Thanks.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The receivers will certainly changeover as they come with the plow and have not changed. The mount you will have to look up on Quick Match at the Western web site. Just put in the specs (a lot more questions than year and model) of both vehicles and then it will tell you part numbers for mounts. If they match they are the same, if not then you will have the part number for the one you need. Same goes for the wiring but you can figure that out easy enough. If you have four headlights on the old and the new then it will probably change over as long as the bulbs are the same type. Quick match will ask you what kind of bulbs you have so pull one out of the easier side and read what kind it is HB5 etc. It is possible you will need a new headlight harness but the new one will fit in you three or four port isolation module. You just have to specify which isolation module you have so you get the right harness.

3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I used the Quick match. Need different headlight harness, and mounts. THanks.

Came across something interesting though. When putting in my 03 Sierra it gives me several options for plows, including Pro and Pro plus. I have a midweight and the recommended ballast is 340 lb. When I input the 08 Sierra, same engine, also an ext cab. the plow choices are HTS and suburbanite. Also the recommended ballast for the HTS is 750!!!!:dizzy:

Is the difference coil over vs. torsion bars? Are these frontends really that soft? 750 lbs of ballast is alot.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like the new truck has a thinner frame where it bolts on. As you will know the vehicle manufacturers are trying to get better fuel economy and that means making vehicles as light as possible. If Western only recommends HTS and mid-weight then something on the new truck is much weaker than the old. Same engine and cab... they must have cut corners on the frame. And the increased ballast also indicates that the overall vehicle weight has been reduced.