1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 GMC Sierra Inner Fender Rotting Away...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Feb 20, 2015.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

Looking for suggestions on the best way to "fix" the holes developing in the inner fenders on my '03 GMC. Have a couple areas where the rot has holes all the way through to the engine bay- now getting salt spray all over things in there… not what I want to have happening...:nono:

I don't have the time to replace the whole inner fender right now- especially not now that we have snow 1-2x's a week…

So- does anyone know of anyplace who makes plastic inner fender liners for the steel upper portion of the inner fenders? Or have suggestions for patching the holes?

Thanks!

Matt

2. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Is this the front wheel well area??

I had a 2000 Chevy that rusted out behind the fender flares and on the upper portion if the wheel well when I started poking around.

I poked out all the rotted area and sprayed everything with rust stop, then used some rolled tin/aluminum metal, not sure how thick it was but was solid and just flexible enough to bend.

I cut out a piece bigger than my holes and set it in with a bunch of set screws. The metal actually formed to the surrounding area pretty good. I then hit it with rubberized undercoating.

Actually was very solid, kept everything out. I had the truck for about a year before upgrading. Held up the entire time and the rot never expanded or got worse after.

3. Squires

Squires Senior Member

crazy carpet and some pop rivits
    Same thing will double(ish) the throwing distance of your 2 stage snowblower too