1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 gmc duramax questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rmartini27, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

i just bought a 03 2500 w/the duramax the truck is very clean( the guy actually typed out instructions for the mech at the dealer for maintenance). it has 118000 mi and leaking injectors. because he had the injectors done once the recall came out he got a old set and they are shot. i changed the oil once i got it home because of the diesel in the crankcase and drained 5+ gallons of oil/diesel out of it. the truck is at the dealer having the injectors replaced again i didnt even have to pay the 100 dollar deductible that the sometimes try to stick you with. my question is does anyone have any experience with any of the aftermarket performance stuff. i know a diesel tech that works for chevy he says that the milder stuff will can get me 50-100 hp and actually increase fuel economy, without damaging the engine. also when hooking up the plow equipment do i use the battery for the starter or the acc.

2. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

can anyone think of anything i should do to the truck to prep it for the plow. it does not have the plow package. i think im going to buy a 8' ss xblade

3. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

dual batts one for plow and one for the truck

4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

the truck has duel batteries one for the starter and one for the accessories. i would think you take it off the starter battery i guess i am correct

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I use the drivers side batt. The best tuners for it would be a PPE std or a Diablosport Predator if MPG gains and small amount of HP is what you're seeking. Don't get the over the counter junk like superchips, hypertech, jet, etc... Swiss cheese your airbox or get a cold air intake to wake up that turbo. Exhaust would help a little too. Stick with a 65 or so tune and you'll be good to go. As for plowing, there's nothing like it than with one of these trucks. As for prep, I wouldn't worry about it......if a little sag concerns you, look into a set of Timbrens. I run Vplows on mine and my 2wd is the only one with Timbrens, and it's just b/c I had them on the shelf.

6. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

GOTH2O what would i have to do to get alittle more than 100hp. will there be any adverse effects to the engine? what will the effect be to the fuel economy. what is the cost. my old truck is a 94 gmc 5.7L the difference in power is unbelievable

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Both of the tuners I listed are capable of 125hp. You don't want to put much more into them though. It's not the best on a stock trans. I've ran a he!! of a lot more into previous trucks, but that doesn't make it a good idea ;)