1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 GMC 2500Hd - hanging w/ plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

What can I do to beef up the front end of our truck. It really hangs when our plow is up in the air. I have a Hininker V Plow, 265 tires, plenty of weight in the box (8' box, reg. cab truck). Do i put Timbrens on, the front is already beefed up from dealer - helped some but not enough. Sometimes even lose tractions going in reverse.

Also, with the V-plow, if we travel out of town for a few miles with plow on - engine coolant light comes on, overheating. Dealer says to much plow up front blocking wind to cool engine. Is this common? Our 06 Chevy HD has no problems. Yes, GMC is snow prep pkg.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Some of the 2003's have the wrong fan clutch. Take it to the dealer and get the right one. I would add timbrens and turn up the torsion bars 5 turns. We are running a Fisher 9'6" V on our 03 and it handles the weight fine.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

How much weight you running for ballast? I would install Timbrens, too.
  4. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Go to a dealer that knows what they are talking about- the overheating is most likely the clutch on the cooling fan- have it replaced and the truck should not overheat- no matter how far you travel.

I am running 800# of ballast in the bed.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

No timbrens on, about 850 pds in the back of truck.

Went to a local Chevy dealer and they looked at it and said the fan clutch is correct, they ran the vin # which said snow pkg heavy this and that, and they suggested to point the V one way or the other to let air into the engine.

I then called out local Hiniker dealer. He said Timbrens would help alot along with turning the front end up. Where as the Chevy dealer said they never heard of that before. Hiniker dealer said same thing that you guys said but they don't get into that kind of stuff.

Is there an after market fan that I can buy from a local auto store? We run run 4 trucks, and this GMC is the first to have this problem!
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Do a search for overheating or fan clutches. Somebody listed the correct part #.
    Find a dealer that deals in medium duty trucks, they should know about making a truck handle plowing.
  7. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i have a 96 chev 2500 that i run a big 8 ft pro plus contractor on and i had to install timbrens , and cranked up the bars 6 or so turns, works good now, and i was haveing same problem with it heating up,, i went to my local chev dealer, he had a after market hd fan cluth made for pulling trailers, parts and 55 for labor i was out the door for 190 , and it works great, i run it high straight across no way i can get it over 175 on a warm day
  8. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

if your truck has the prep package VYU, you should have the strongest torsion bar available, just cranking it to compensate the weight of the plow is sufficient. The first time I picked up my truck after the plow was installed it overheated quite a few times, did the clutch fan the following week, my temp gauge hasn't moved from operating temp since. Check out this link, its all there for your mind to absorb.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

As stated....TELL the dealer to REPLACE the clutch fan with the appropriate one. If your overheating, you have the wrong one. The correct one will NOT overheat.

Weight is very dependent on WHERE it is located in the bed. You want it REAR of the axle (between the tailgate and the wheel wells).

Timbrens will help with a lot of weight, especially when jouncing. But simply adjusting the T-bars will result in satisfactory results.

Also, keep those front tires pumped up to 80PSI.
  10. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey guys thanks for the help. I took the truck to a local Meduim - heavy truck dealer and he they did some checking but they knew what to do. Lesson learned with the local dealership who like to sell trucks but know more about cars. When it snow again, I'll be glad to share how things are holding up.