1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Ford ranger needs plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joey D, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

My father in-law needs a plow for his 03 Ranger. He will just be doing his driveway as he is had it with snow blowers.
    I am biased towards Fisher but I want something super easy for him to mount. He has looked at the Curtis but thats it.
    So my question is who makes the easiest mounting plow that will be a good plow?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoway.Light,easy to install and hookup,and has it the Downpressure system.If he's just doing his driveway,you can get the model without the plowlights,it's even more compact.
  3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I agree with wyldman that snoway is ur best bet. A friend of mine has a snoway on a dodge ram and it is a very light weight and easy to use system. The down pressure is great:)
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Joey...Check the fisher, western, snowway web
    sites for applications for your truck.

Also truck factory warranty is something to think
    about. The auto mfrs. are very picky about plow
    related breakage on non plow prep equiped

I think a western poly bladeis the best for your truck.
    Just from my experience. A couple guys around me have new S-10s with them........... Good luck.....................geo
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher MM2 on a dolly,can't get any easier,plus i'm a little biased on Fisher also:p
    I've found my old MM is still easier to hook up on the ground but the new MM2's are a breeze on dollys.
  6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If its just for his driveway the Snoway without the lightbar will be light and durable for him. The Western and Fisher applications are equally as simple to put on and take off. They all have their upsides and downsides. Do a little research on old threads on this site and check out the plow manufacturers websites im sure you will find that helpful.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The first thing to check is the Owner's Manual.

The 01' Ranger I drove with a Sno Way, on page 1 of the Owner's Manual had in large letters "DO NOT MOUNT A SNOW PLOW ON THIS VEHICLE"

Bye, bye warranty....

8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I agree that he should not get a plow but thats what he wants. I plow his drive every storm anyways but he is last on the list as it's a free bee and he is 15 miles away.

His son works at the Ford dealer so the warranty is no problem and he says he can get a deal on a Curtis plow. How do the rate in the plow world?
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I didn't even realize that Curtis had an application that fits the Ford Ranger. Thats news to me.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have newer seen the snoway mount for a Ranger,but if it's anything like the S10's,it can be pulled off in a few minutes if the truck needs to go in for any warranty work.Unless they are looking for it,you'd never know it ever had a plow on it.
  12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I saw a 02-03 Ranger yesterday with the obvious snoway mount on it. Can't mistake it for another. I wanted to ask the owner about the plow but my wife came out of the store before he/she did. It did look like a pretty simple setup and the ranger had no modifications (timbrens, springs) that I could see.
  13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Time to chime........

The rangers have always had a very nice frame for plow mounting. The older spring units needed air bags but the new ones will hold a plow easily. Load for the Front gvw will support upto 550# on several combinations.

Snoways and Meyer 2 meters were the rage for quite a few years. We hung several 7' Blizzards on 2002's last year for commercial use and everyone was very happy with the combo.

Getting set to put a 6'8" on one next week. At 318# it should be a nice setup.

The snoways are nice for the down pressure option when backdragging and shine in this application as long as you get enough weight on the rears for traction.

Good luck and as you have seen lots of options out there.

Curtis for the suv's is news to me. Guess I should check into this at the local dealer. Jerre
  14. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I didn't know about the Curtis plow avail, looks like it is not. I will pass on the info. Thanks for the help.
  15. The Rock

The Rock Junior Member
    from maine

Dont do it!!

My father in law put a fisher on his ranger and it voided the warranty. They told him not to do it but he did it anyway's. His is now on his 3 transmission in 4 years. They told him specifically that the tranny couldn't take it. He now wishes he didn't. It killed it. :eek: