1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 f450 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wirenut, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

hi all
    we just picked up a 03 f-450 6.0 power stroke diesel
    with the Allison auto trans.
    can anyone tell me about the motor? any quirks other than
    liking fuel.....:nod:

thanks

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

with the allison trans.? unless they did some modifying you don't have an allison transmision....

you've got one of the earlier 6.0's...they aren't as good, have some turbo problems and injector problems. just make sure to keep checking things and keep on top of maintenance

3. karol

karol Senior Member

Go to fordtrucks.com. Do a search. Did you do a oasis report on it? It's 50/50 you either got a good one or a lemon.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well im pretty sure you got the ford 5spd auto not the allison. and im sorry but that is the worst year for that motor that you could have gotten. dont shoot the messenger.........

they really had a lot of probs with those 03 &04 6.0 PS

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'm not a Ford guy but I know you don't have an Allison you have a 5R110 Torque Shift. If you are lucky it has a Cummins in it then it would have an Allison. You confused yet?

6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

cant you only get th cummins in the 650/750

7. karol

karol Senior Member

I was just waiting for this...... 03 and 04 not a good year.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

There is a company that will install the Cummins/Allison combo in a new truck with full warrenty. My buddy had it done through the Ford Dealer on an F450 King Ranch. He even financed it through Ford Credit. I tried to find it but couldn't.

9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

didnt know you were talkin custom stuff

10. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

does anyone know how much it would cost to get a cummins and a allison in a F350?

11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

$10k- $15k having somone do it. If your talking new stuff.

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

paying someone to do it with NEW stuff ill bet its more like 15-20K

13. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Yeah, a rebuilt 7.3 Jasper motor was close to 10K installed...in my 99 F550. So, I'm sure it would be a lot more expensive to do a "swap" rather than just a replacement. JMO.