1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 f350 oxygen sensor issue??????????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

0141 code bank 1 sensor2 changed o2 sensor and code came right back any sugestions

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

I will check my Ford factory service DVD. Were there any other codes? What was the original complaint? Let me know.

3. Morrissey snow removal

that is the only code was running a touch rough

4. mrv8outboard

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
    Step 1
    H25 DTCS P0141 AND P0161: HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT IS OPEN, CHECK HO2S SIGNAL AND SIGNAL RETURN CIRCUITS FOR OPEN IN HARNESS
    Note: Refer to the PCM harness connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:

DTC P0141 = HO2S HTR-12
    DTC P0161 = HO2S HTR-22
    Note: On some applications, a vehicle hoist is required to access the HO2S harness.

Visually inspect the HO2S circuit for exposed wiring, water contamination, corrosion and proper assembly.
    Measure resistance of HO2S SIG circuit between PCM harness connector pin and HO2S harness connector.
    Measure resistance of HO2S SIG RTN circuit between PCM harness connector pin and HO2S harness connector.
    Is the resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
    Yes No
    GO to H26 . REPAIR open circuit. COMPLETE HO2S Monitor Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

5. mrv8outboard

Step 2
    H26 CHECK HO2S CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO VPWR IN HARNESS
    Measure resistance between the HO2S SIG and VPWR circuit at the PCM harness connector pin.
    Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
    Yes No
    GO to H27 . GO to H28 .

H27 CHECK FOR SOURCE OF POTENTIAL HO2S CONTAMINATION
    Investigate the following items as potential sources of HO2S contamination:
    Use of unapproved silicon sealers.
    Fuel contaminated by silicon additives.
    Excessive oil burning (i.e. rings, valve seals and oil overfill).
    Glycol (antifreeze) leaking internally in the engine.
    Lead contaminated fuel.
    Short drive cycles in cold weather.
    Use of unapproved cleaning agents.
    Were any of the above conditions or concerns found during inspection?
    Yes No
    REPAIR source of contamination. REPLACE HO2S and oil/filter. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. COMPLETE HO2S Monitor Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ). If diagnosing DTC P0141 or P0161, GO to H30 . All others: REPLACE PCM.

6. mrv8outboard

H28 VERIFY WIRING IS IN PROPER PIN LOCATION
    Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Measure resistance of the HO2S SIG circuit and HO2S Signal Return circuit between the PCM harness connector pin and the HO2S harness connector.
    Yes No
    REPLACE HO2S. REPAIR as necessary.

H30 DTCS P0135 AND P0155: HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT IS SHORTED TO GROUND, SHORTED TO VPWR OR EXCESSIVE CURRENT DRAW, LOW CURRENT DRAW
    Note: Refer to the PCM harness connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:

DTC P0135 = HO2S HTR-11
    DTC P0155 = HO2S HTR-21
    Note: On some applications, a vehicle hoist is required to access the HO2S harness.

Visually inspect the HO2S circuit for exposed wiring, water contamination, corrosion and proper assembly.
    Were any concerns found during inspection?
    Yes No
    REPAIR any concerns found during inspection. GO to H31 .

7. mrv8outboard

H28 VERIFY WIRING IS IN PROPER PIN LOCATION
    Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Measure resistance of the HO2S SIG circuit and HO2S Signal Return circuit between the PCM harness connector pin and the HO2S harness connector.
    Yes No
    REPLACE HO2S. REPAIR as necessary.

8. mrv8outboard

Make sure you use a quality replacement part. NOT Autozone or the like.

9. Morrissey snow removal

bank 1 sensor 2 is the one after the cat correct because i could only find 3 on that truck

10. mrv8outboard

What engine?

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That is correct.

Check the harness for any obvious damage. And use an OEM sensor if you didn't already.

EDIT: I should say, check the whole length of the harness for damage. It runs quite a ways back to that sensor.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  12. Morrissey snow removal

ok thank u and its a 5.4

13. mrv8outboard

I just checked well I was waiting and found both 5.4/6.8 are the same for O2 sensors. What do you have for a code reader?

14. mrv8outboard

P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12) See DTC P0135

15. mrv8outboard

P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11) During testing the HO2S Heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draw. The test fails when current draw exceeds a calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected. Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S.
    Water in harness connector.
    Open VPWR circuit.
    Open GND circuit.
    Low battery voltage.
    Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
    Damaged HO2S heater.
    Damaged PCM.

16. mrv8outboard

Check your fuses?

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have problems with it or bad MPG? I cleared mine on a 5.4 about 2 months ago. The code has not come back. The MPG has been normal. If the MPG is bad and it seems to not to be running right I would change to 02 sensor's. If it's a plow truck,I would really not have a problem with changing them all. If the truck has a lot of miles on it do it ! Say you are making $100 an hour plowing. The sensors cost you $200 for all 4. You now have to worry no more. Your good for the next 50k or more. I have changed most of them with just a regular wrench 7/8's. All the Auto Parts places have the tools you need for the job. Cut the wires off the old one and use a wrench to take it off, The new one's will screw right in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  18. mrv8outboard

How are you making out? I am not far from you if you need a little help.

19. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I had experienced this recently. My issue was a leaking intake gasket. Dealer fixed at their expense even though it wasn't under warranty. 2005 5.4L. $600 job.

20. Morrissey snow removal

thanks guys still have not got it fixed truck went to the body shop monday for an accident i had 3 weeks ago i will work on it when i get it back