1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 f350 front clunk when in 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

03 f350 clunk when in 4x4 not any of the u joints checked them anyone ever heard or the spider gears chipping? and clunking!!! is it a big job if it is?

2. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Can you give a little more info as to when the clunk happens. Normal driving, turning, under power pushing a load. Could be a stabilizer bushing, or track/panhard bar bushing, or loose shock mount.

See if you can pin point when you hear the clunk and we can help you figure it out.

Toyman

3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I had a clunking noise from a '97 Dodge once years ago and it was the u-joint in the drive axle. The steering knuckle had gone bad and would clunk like crazy if you even bumped the wheel left or right. It was warranty work for me but the total was about $650.

4. Morrissey snow removal

when driving all the time goes up and down with exceleration

5. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Start with the easy stuff. Check the shocks and mounts, then go to sway bar bushings/end links. Keep checking and shaking stuff until you eliminate all the easy stuff. Check front wheel bearings and ball joints.

Let us know what you find.

Toyman

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It is the drive axles slapping in the housing because your inner and outer axle seals are shot my truck was doing the same thing. The outer seal is $ 20.00 a piece and the inners are $ 40.00 a piece at Ford. That will fix the clunking.

7. Morrissey snow removal

all sway bar links bushing just done shocks and mounts fine

8. Morrissey snow removal

axle seals would make a clunking and go up and down with speed also feels like a little bit of drag more than normal!!! tthanks for the help guys meery christmas

9. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Check your caliper mounts also. I had a caliper lock up last year, when I fixed it I found the slide part of the mount was shot had to replace the whole mount bracket and caliper.

Good luck, these can be a pain to track down sometimes.

toyman

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I too have a clunk in my front axle whenever the left hub is locked. I think it is my outer axle needle bearing (torrington bearing) allowing the axle u-joint yokes to hit the upper ball joint grease zerk. The clunking speeds up and slows down with road speed. Check your axle yokes for signs of them rubbing on the grease zerk if you have one.
    BTW the seals do not hold the axle from wobling the lockout and torrington bearing does.

11. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Do you have the manual shift 4xr engage or the electric. I was just thinking that the ESOF, could have a vacuum leak and the axle would engage and clunk as the hubs got vacuum. If you have the ESOF, manually turn the lock outs and see if it goes away.

On another thought if you have the manual and they are locked in try unlocking them and drive it to see if it goes away. If it does then most likely the needle bearing in the main bearing assemble is bad.

Toyman

12. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

When the needle bearing gose bad it is locked to the axle and it will not move up and down. The axle seals do hold the axle it 2 places the inner and then the outer vacum seal also hold the axle in place. I just did all of this ordered the new needle bearings and axle seals and installed them and no more clunking. The extra drag is the needle bearing froze on the axle and letting the axles spin when the truck is moving all the time. They should not spin with the tires unless locked out.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  13. Morrissey snow removal

i am thinking more wheel bearing now cause i take it out of 4x4 and hubs looked and it makes a rattle in the drivers side wheel what do u think

14. toyman

toyman Senior Member

yup, sounds like the needle bearing inside the bearing assembly. Check the outer shaft of the axle when you get it apart, make sure that it has no uneven or excessive wear.

15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

My noise turned out to be a combination of several things. 1st I had a bad CV joint. Secondly I had a slightly worn upper ball joint which allowed the knuckle to deflect enough for the axle u-joint yokes to contact the ball joint grease zerk. When I had it all apart I tried to wobble the axle around with only the seal holding it in place and it was easily able to make contact with the grease zerk. I am only saying this to illustrate that there are quite a few possible causes for front driveline noise. Obviously in f250man's case it was his seals, in mine it was a combination of a couple of things.

16. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Notorious problemo on plow trux

17. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Before the season started I saw that the balloint was worn a little but it was nothing to worry about. I planned on changing it after the season. But my truck is pretty heavy for a RC (#10,000) obviously it just couldn't wait that long. BTW the unit bearing and torington bearings were fine but I replaced it anyway since I was in there.

18. rainman500_0

rainman500_0 Junior Member

My Dodge had a clunk or pop last week while plowing (chained up on all four) then i got stuck, wife pulled me out with the Tundra. I found two dents in front diff cover pokeing out. Removed the cover to find 2 bolts came loose from the carrier, one was found whole the other in pieces. The spiders are shredded, ring gear missing some teeth. Took it to mech and he,s got it now. His quote is $1450. to fix. OUCH Hope you don,t have this problem