1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 f350 5.4 exhuast ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 5.4 f350 with cat back duals i just put on bought from a catolog for 500 flomaster set up with a 40 series muffler not load at all any elase have this problem any any one every taken off the cat hows it sound and preform thanks chris

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Careful taking off the cats, you will probably fail Mass state inspection. Where does the exhaust exit now? If you dump the exhaust (use turndowns facing the ground) before the rear axle it should make it louder.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have the stock ford oem exhaust now. by any chance did you feel a difference in hp when you put the exhaust on. did the exhaust make it not as sluggish???? I was thinking about putting duals on mine.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

it did make the truck run better little more hp i also have edge programmer and a k&n cold air intake for it all 3 helped alot

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

if you want loud why even run mufflers? cut em out and just put straight pipes in... my f-150 i had before w/ a dual was pretty quiet with the mufflers, straight piping is cheap and easy and will make them louder, then i got both pipes ran out the right side just past passenger door :rolleyes: cutting cat off is bad idea, could fail inspection...

6. DeereFarmer

They'll fail you for no muffler here as well.

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

they can in ny too but thats if the shop actually looks that close.. with my f-150 as long as it passed the comp inspection i had a sticker, and my f-350 i just pull in and get a new tag, no comp needed due to the gvwr of the truck :D i go to the same shop for all my inspections, and some work so he treats me real well... im sure a side shop would pass it with no muffler...

8. DeereFarmer

It can be done, but you have to be careful or just clamp a muffler on there once a year to pass inspection, then take it off again and replace it with a piece of straight pipe. That's what my buddy does and he has no issues.

9. mowerhands

mowerhands Junior Member

I Have 5.4 F-250 no cats but has a muffler. Sounds sweet.

10. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

I have a 99 F150 with the 5.4 and I have true dual exhaust and it still has all the stock cats and it's loud. It's 2.5" pipe 45ed to the corners and exits through 4" tips. Sounds REALLY good and is loud. I would highly reccommend a set up like this!

11. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey pa, why did the police come write me a ticket at 3am when I'm plowing?:jester: