1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 f350 4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

wheni try to shift it to 4x4 on fly it does not work it grinds almost have to be a stand still and does not go into low at all any one have any thoughts or had thye same problem thanks

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

are your front hubs locking in? try locking then in manually then try putting it in 4wd. i may be wrong but i recally that the front has to be locked in before the transfer case shifts into 4wd when moving. otherwise you will get that grinding.

3. toast

toast Member

I have my hubs in manual, and I have to be stopped, in neutral, with my foot on the brake, while in 4x4 high to go into 4 low in my SD....

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

how fast is "on the fly"? you have to be in netural to go into 4L but its better to go into 4H move a bit then 4L

5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

hubs are locked and i am going bout 10 mph and it grinds into 4 high cant get to 4 low at all always grinds even ai nuetral

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try pushing really hard on the brake pedal when you shift to 4 wheel drive.

7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not really sure why your truck doesn't want to go into 4 high. To shift into 4 low you need to get your truck rolling at 1 or 2 mph slip it into neutral and then shift your transfer case. I have never owned a truck that would shift on the fly into 4 low. Read your manual weather you have a manual transfer case or electric shift you need to be rolling slow in NUETRAL for 4 low. Hope it's nothing serious GOOD LUCK!!!

8. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

The shift into fly option on the SD. To go into low range you must be stopped with the foot on brake in netural if it don't go in then it may be the relay to shift the electric transfer case. I had the problem.