1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 F250 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WOODY367, Oct 29, 2006.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

A local dodge dealer has a nice looking 03 F250 with the 6.0 and 54k. I am thinking about buying it. What are your thoughts on this truck with the diesel? I am also thinking about buying a extende warrenty that that dealer had. Thanks

2. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I have an 03 with 53k on it right now truck is awesome..Pulled my car to the race track yesturday like it was pulling nothing...Great running powerful truck...Go to www.thedieselgarage.com and ask one of the members to run an oasis report there will be a 6.0 oasis report forum and that will tell you what all it has been in for! If the price is right, I don't think you could beat it! Let us know I absolutely LOVE mine! Great trucks, and to me it doesn't get any better than a Ford!!!

3. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I have an 04 F350 with the 6.0. The issues I have had with it were ball joints at 18k, egr, speedometer, and fuse box short at 24k, and now a speed sensor. I still love the truck, it has all been covered under warranty. I do have the extended warranty. I would buy another one, just not a 07 or newer, I don't want the new emission junk till its sorted out.

4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i'de stay away...2003 with the 6 liters were bad motors...but at the same time some people never have problems. we have a 2003 F550 with the 7.3...they're nice trucks if you can find a 2003 F250 with the 7.3

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It is a crapshoot. You win some and loose some. People have had great luck with the 6.0s and some have had terrible luck. It is like that for every engine. I think whatb you should really think about is the warranty. How long do you plan on owning the truck? If the warranty covers it through that point than you should have very little to worry about. When I bought my 6.8 F250 I got a 3 yuear 36k mile warranty on it. I figured that three years would be when I wanted to upgrade anyway. If things really start going worng while you are still under warranty and you just get fed up you can sell it and transfer the warranty (they charge like $50 to do this).

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Is the factory warrenty on the 6.0 5/100? The afetermarket warrenty offered by dealers are they any good? This truck is at a Dodge dealer and told me they can give me a aftermarket warrenty.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The engine is still under the 100,000 mile warranty. The warranty you mentioned would be through a private company who will pay for the repairs. I got one of those warranties on a Ford about 7 years ago when I bought a used truck, all I can say is rip off!!!. Walk from this truck. Who trades in a perfectly good diesel truck at 54,000 miles unless it is a headache? People buy diesels for the long haul (usually), so when a diesel especially a 6.0 gets turned in early, I would suspect the owner was not happy. There are plenty of 7.3's out there if you are die hard Ford, but like it was said some people have great luck with them. Just my 2 cents..good luck.

8. M&M Services

from midwest

Some good thoughts in here...The extended warranties are a big help, some are a rip off...But some are extremely good..I got one through the credit union, covers about everything, $0 deductible and I got it for 5 yr 100k for a diesel even though the truck still has the factory 100k...Now some guys will trade in a low mile diesel because they want something new, no longer need a diesel, didnt need a diesel to start with etc....The oasis report came back on the truck practically perfect, in the shop once for a reflash!!!! if the deal is right go for it dont let people scare you away from it...I know of alot of 03+ 6.0s running around with 120k plus on them.. The end decision is up to you..Let us know... I absolutely love my 6.0!!!! :drinkup:

9. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

The warranties you get from Ford are really, through a second company. When you buy an extended warranty, most of them you pay the deductible. Its a gamble, but I want to take the chance, figure a trans $3000 plus, and they do go.

10. DeereFarmer

My warranty is through a credit union as well I think. I have a $0 deductible as well. A 24k mile warranty was included with the truck and for another $250 I got another 12k out of it.

11. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

I have 2003 F350 PSD , the only thing so far is ball joints, i have 82k. I have heard good and bad with this year. For my sake and everyone else with an 03 LEts keep our figures crossed. lol

12. M&M Services

from midwest

Good choice First Time Out..You can never have to much coverage!!! and I stil lcant get over how georgeous that truck is!!!
    F350 snowman I agree I love mine...No problems at all!! best truck I have owned...
    If the deal is right go for it! wesport

13. DeereFarmer

Thanks! I have put around 3k miles on it (about 700 of which are towing miles), no problems yet, just some things I want to change around when I get to it, like a bteer brake controller. I haven't done a full detail on the truck yet, but spray it off often to try to keep it looking clean. I'll wash it before it gets too much colder around here. I like my trucks really clean lol!

14. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Well guys no go on that truck. The dealer came back and said they can't let it go for what I will give them. The saleman thought it would have been a done deal but higher up said no go.. I will keep looking. When its ment to be I will find it for the price I can afford.

15. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Congratulations on holding your ground with the stealership! Good job.