1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 F150 Supercrew Tires For Plowing? Also, How Much Ballast?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 03SuperCrew330, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I was using a snowbear plow all season (stop laughing) to plow my residentials and didnt have any problems except it didn't have downpressure for backdragging, its light and didn't always clean well on the first pass. I had no ballast in the bed and I slid a little but not much with 3" of sleet/snow on the ground.

I plowed the last storm of the winter with my new (to me) Curtis Snow Pro 3000 attached to my 03 F150 Supercrew 5.4 with the 3.73LS rear end on 6" of snow/sleet. I noticed that I had traction problems getting up drives with inclines and some I couldn't even get up at all. I had 520 lbs of ballast over the rear axle and I dont know if it hurt me or helped me!! I currently have BFG AT tires with 32K on them and they are worn but do have plenty of tread left.

My questions are: did I have enough ballast in the truck or too much, and should I buy a set of snows for plowing (possibly studded) next year to help get me around my customers drives?

I figured my AT tires would be ok, I inflated them to 45lbs (door calls for 35) to see if that helped and it got me nowhere.

Please help so I can git'r done next year! LOL.

Thanks,
    Mike (Noob)

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Inflating will hurt not help traction. BFG's are usually great tires, the problem is most are big hence wide, and don't dig in well. If I run weight I put it back as far as I can, not just over the axle. The plow is 3' out front, you want to offset it as much as you can.

3. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Yes they are 265/70R/17 so they are wide, what would be a good size for a year round AT tire that would still cut through the snow?

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I may preach that big tires are bad but I don't truly follow it. I run 30-9.5-15 Bridgestone Dueler MT's on my Cherokee. They are 7.5 " at the tread(keep in mind stockk was 225-75-15) but they are aggressive enough that they hook-up great! If you can run 2 sets ei winter & summer tires, that works best. Talk to your tire guy or mechanic about what size & style to run, he knows more about you, your truck, and the type of driving you will be doing. I bought my MT's the same way I buy everything, by price. A guy I worked with is a Jeep nut, these were to be his winter tires on his lifted Wrangler. He had them for months, never mounted, and wanted to return them to the custom truck shop he got them at( 1 time to many, they said NO!). I got them for $275. SWEETpayup !!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007