1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 F-250 5.4l stuck in 4 low?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chs1993, Mar 3, 2009.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I have a 03 F-250 with a 5.4l, with 4 wheel drive on the fly. Its stuck in four low and wont shift. I just got in out of the shop a month ago for the same problem and ideas the truck has 98000 miles on her. The shifter motor was just replaced
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Take the motor off and try shifting it manually.
  3. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

Don't know if this will help at all or not but the same thing happened on my dad's 96 dodge and it was a vacuum hose that had melted.
  4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I got it unstuck, by following these directions i got off a site, it popped right out.

Drive straight 10 feet
    Place the trans in neutral and hold the brake pedal
    Now shift from low to high and wait
    If it clunks then go to 2wd
    If it does not clunk let it roll slightly while still holding the brake
    If it still does not work repeat the steps and have someone tap on the transfer case motor while shifting from low to high. if it still does not work the most likely the shift motor is bad.
  5. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I'm not sure about that I think it runs off a vaccum. Mine does it sometimes too.