1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 duramax trans problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by greatlawn, Feb 24, 2010.

1. greatlawn

greatlawn Junior Member

When it gets cold 5 deg I have trouble shifting. The truck only has problems with the gear shift park to drive or reverse. Once the truck gets hot everything is fine. Warm weather fine just cold. I have 198000 miles on it. Help would be great.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

if its an allison trans its the linkage from the steering column to the trans after a while it will feel sticky and wont even be able to go into park so i would take it to the dealer your local trans shop wont have the part but if its not a allison it could be the same thing but im not sure, good luck

3. greatlawn

greatlawn Junior Member

Thanks I was hoping to not have to do that.

4. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I had a 03 duramax and it had that problem.eventually I couldn't move it at all and it broke the shifter cable.new cable and problem solved! naturally I was up in WI when it broke and I had to lay under it in the rain to shift in in drive!

5. greatlawn

greatlawn Junior Member

Thanks for the info I ordered the cable today. How hard is it to put in? How long did it take? Thanks I really apreciate the help

6. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

The truck was under warenty at the time but they only had it for a day and they didn't have the part.So my guess is by the time they located one it probably only took a couple hours for them to istall it.If I remember right I had hem do a couple of other things while it was there as well. I can't imagine it should be to bad to do!

7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Yep mine did it too. new cable it will be ok.