1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Dodge Dakota (New to Thread)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jak, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jak

Jak Junior Member

Hey, just a quick question . . for now. I'm gonna be getting a fisher LD plow for my truck. As I said, it's an 03 Quadcab w/ 4.7 v-8, bought new never abused, will I need to put any extra weight in the back or can I get by without? MM2/ LD weights in at 480. Not planning on any major plowing, just my own and a neighbor or two's driveways and my parents. thanks for any input.

2. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

at least 400lbs ballast and crank the torsion bars a little.

I had an 04 same as yours with a sno-way about the same weight as your plow.

Made a pretty nice little plow truck,alot easier to manuver than the ocean liner I plow with now...lol

Make sure the electric fan is working or it wil get hot if you drive very far.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd say around 400 lbs. if not more. See how that does and add or subtract from there. Just use the 50 lb. tube sand bags and you will have any easy time playing around with the weight. Like stangman sauid, make sure the fan is working. You will also want a tranny cooler too. If you have the towing package you probably already have one. Keep up on the ball joints. Other than that, you'll love it.

4. Jak

Jak Junior Member

Thanks guys. Any other tips?

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I also put on some 10ply toyo open country tires 245/75r16E.
    Helps carry the extra weight of the plow,the stockers are more like car tires.

Still kinda miss the little truck,good luck with yours.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yes, good tires are key. Toyos are good IMO. They will be the next set I put on mine. I have had the stock set of Goodyear Wranglers and then a second set of Wranglers. Two sets of tires and 120,024 on the clock. I'm pretty happy with them. still have about 35-40% tread left on this set. Toyos will give you a better bite tho and will last just as long.

7. Jak

Jak Junior Member

I've got the Bridgestone APTIII's on mine and they've handled what snow we've had here. Got my plow and I gotta hand it to Dodge, I already knew that for what ever reason, Dodge always put heavy front ends on the Dakotas but I was surprised at how little the front end squats down with the plow on.